I Forge Iron

Depressed

Mr. Wiliams you used the word "score" in reference to a number. Fun fact, kids now a days do not know what that means. A local high school asked student how many years was 4 score and 7. Very few knew the correct answer becuasse they did not know how many a score was. And fortnight, well it is a video game. 

Pnut something you said eralier about someone with an anvil that wont sell becuase one of these days...When i was a teenager a guy down the street had a 65 GTO in his back yard, this was around 87'. I went to his door one day and inquired as to whether or not he would sell it. He said no he is going to restore it and get it nice. I told my dad about it and he said that car has been in his backyard since 74' and he has been "going" to restore it for years. Car ended up in a scrap yard. 

Mr. curious may i suggest getting a coffee can. Get to forging and every time you go out to do something drop a couple dollars in the can and forget about it. Kind of paying yourself. You will be surprised how fast it will collect and then have the money to buy an anvil, maybe even a new one. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 3:39 PM, BillyBones said:

Fun fact, kids now a days do not know what that means. A local high school asked student how many years was 4 score and 7. Very few knew the correct answer becuasse they did not know how many a score was.

You could tell them:

"Now of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more."

And let them figure it out from there.

$10K for a violin bow??! Holy moley.

I started out with an old beat up 70lb Vulcan and it was perfect for a beginner. I made a lot of bottle openers, hooks and mistakes on it. It takes a lot longer than you think to be able to wield a hammer accurately and effectively. This is where having an old beat up anvil is good because it will get a lot more beat up during the learning process. When I have friends over who want to try beating on a piece of hot metal, they do it on the Vulcan. It has become the guest anvil.  

My parents purchased it and another from a dance orchestra leader back in the 60's.  My violin professor wanted the other one, so they sold it to him for what the two cost them.  He passed away back in 2000 and I was working at his shop as a repairman when his daughter sold that bow for $50,000.  Guess I picked the wrong one, huh!!!!! :o

Chris value or worth is only what someone is willing to pay for it.. 

I had seen years ago a story about a violin that was special because of the maker and the special paint. .yet when it was made it was only worth a few scheckles. 50 or 100 year later it was worth a million or 2. 

Why, simply because someone made up a value and someone else was willing to pay that asked value.. LOL.. 

It's like the value of gold or diamonds or steel or the like or anything I make.   there is an asking value and then the paying value.

Gold is great for fillings, cooking storage for food and water, electrical contacts but for anything of real use, it's a useless metal.   yet people attribute value to it.   Doesn't make any sense to me other than what people believe something is worth. 

Sadly for me, money has never been high priority usually squeaking by with the bare needs of a roof, food, toilet, and shower. 

It seems like with the shop and with the anvil that money is no object. But in reality I'm a saver and all these things I have of late are my life savings.  I won't be needing any of it or them when I pass into the other world.   I just feel badly for the people who I will leave behind to clean up.. 

What does one do with a 5700lbs power hammer. 

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

Now of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more."

That took me a minute to have to think about. 

I think i may be able to find a use for that power hammer.

I have always been kind of the same with money, not the most important thing. I grew up in the sticks with nothing. Most of the food we raised, no plumbing an outhouse out back, the backwoods hillbilly from Kentucky ( that is hillwilliam now that i am sophisticated.) But i remember dinner with the family, sitting on the front porch in the evening with the family. Some one would break out the guitar or a banjo and play a little, some would sing along, a fresh water melon cooled in the creek, dogs under the apple tree, and all that stuff you can imagine down home. In my opinion i was richer than Mr. Bezos. Money aint everything, what truly matters is family and that bond of love shared by all. It made the hard times worth it. 

Any way $10 K for a violin bow!?! $50 K!?! That is crazy. I always figured they were just something that came with a violin or what not. 

Top-quality violin bows are probably the most sophisticated kind of hand woodwork out there. There are so many things that you have to get absolutely right, and if they're not right, they're WRONG. 

The most expensive violin bow ever sold was about four or five years ago in London, for a little under $300K.

"Beares Auctions, London has today announced a new world record for the most expensive violin bow ever sold in history at auction. The silver and ebony mounted violin bow, made by Francois Xavier Tourte, was purchased on Monday for a world record auction price of US $288,960.Nov 4, 2015"

There are violin bows on ebay for $65k and $85k.

We all may have gotten into the wrong craft.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The most expensive instrument I've ever been personally involved with was a Carlo Tononi cello that was donated to our conservatory a few years back; it appraised at around $830K. Interestingly, it is probably the instrument that Anatoly Brandukoff used when he premiered the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata in 1901.

I’m still around and still forging when I can. Summer is a very busy time for me(also dealing with a troubled teen daughter fighting mental illness).  Come winter I’ll have more time to share and forge. 

Thank you for compliments on my anvil. It’s working very well for me!

Charles,Jasen my only advice about the kids is love them the best you can every day and make sure they know it. I was that "troubled kid" at one time and knowing I wasn't being thrown away was the most important thing looking back. At the time it's a little hard to see the forest for the trees sometimes for young people but with time things got better it's just something you have to work at every day.

Pnut

Aren't all kids mentally ill? 

Really though i have 3 daughters. 2 of them were problems with drugs and mental issues. It is hard but things do get better. Not that they are any saner, they are young adults and there is only so much you can do for that condition. 

I’ll take the average mental illness kind of kid anyday.  Self harm and attempting suicide twice now is a lot to handle!   She is in child psyc hospital now and maybe 180 days till she gets out.  Going to be a tough road ahead.