I Forge Iron

Yet another slip-joint

rhitee93

I've been having fun learning how to make these.  I'm still pretty much using the design the Culver published in his book, but have been tweaking mechanical bits to get the action to where I want it.  This is the 5th attempt, and just about right.

The blade is a mix of 1095 and 15N20.  The bolsters and pins are nickle silver.  This one has a pivot busing made from A2, and the scales are jigged bone. The spring is 1075.

IMG_5031.thumb.JPG.ca0b2ecdcc0f6012d664651825dbce4b.JPG

IMG_5025.thumb.JPG.4abe2751d86e5c6242f7d97dc470200e.JPG

IMG_5022.thumb.JPG.768be949e788bba533a583f050cacc8f.JPG

Thanks guys.  I've made 5 of these in the last few months.  Each one is a little more refined than the last, but there are still plenty of warts to deal with.  Another dozen or two and I might be happy :P

Other than the overall scale and handle material, I haven't changed the esthetic design at all.  I've been focusing on tweaking the design of the pivot pin and bushing to get a nice "Snappy" action while still getting a good enough peen on the pivot that the pins disappear.  I'm feeling pretty good about where I am at with all of that for now, so I hope to move on to my own design next.

I really like the look of Culver's design, but feel after 5 knives I am wearing out my welcome and need to move on to my own.

What changes are you thinking of making to get to “your own style”?  Coming up with something you might feel is your own style would be kind of hard I think. Slip joints have been around in one form or another for a very long time. I expect it would be like it is with books.  It is impossible to write a truly original story. Everything is just a variation on some other story that has been written and rewritten countless times. 

First of all, I love the knife! Now I must show my ignorance and ask, what is a “slip joint” knife? How does it differ from a standard folding knife? Does it lock the blade somehow? Obviously I’m not a maker of folding knives! Thanks in advance  

Bill D

A slipjoint knife is one that uses a spring to hold the blade open or closed but does not lock the blade open. Think a common pocket knife, although rhitee93 makes knives that are anything but common more like Royalty. This video explains it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clvoYnLMCLU

I agree that I won't be coming up with anything novel or new in terms of shape.  I just want to get away from blatantly using someone else's pattern, even if it was published in a "How to" book.  I'm kind of leaning towards a Coke-bottle profile for the next one.

Yep, slip-joint is a catch-all for for most forms of non-locking knives with a back spring.  THink old-school Case knives, swiss army knives, barlow, etc...