I Forge Iron

Trenton Anvil new to me

First of all... Hello! This is my first time on the site. I just bought my first anvil and thought I would post it. It's a Trenton and it came on a metal base.  The base does not appear to be welded onto the anvil, but for the life of me I can't seem to find what is keeping the anvil and base together. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. 

I am going to try to post pictures. 

20190731_121640.jpg

20190731_120205.jpg

20190731_120356.jpg

20190731_120405.jpg

Edited by Mod30
resize photos

Good score, Ranger, and welcome to the funny farm. If there's no sign of welding that you can see, I would guess just a jam fit. Stick a pinch bar in the crack between anvil and stand and pry away, or lay the anvil on it's side on a few blocks and then beat on the stand. Don't forget, no grinding on the face. And don't forget your ear protection- that baby is going to ring like a bell.

Steve

Thanks Irondragon. I posted with my phone and I think I went past the 30 minute time to resize. It's not letting me. Sorry and I will try to make sure I do that next time. 

Thank you Stash.... I will give that a try. I hope the square plate it's sitting on isn't somehow attached to the anvil in the center of the base. 

Edited by Mod30
remove quote

Someone may also have used adhesive on it. Try heating the underside of the baseplate with a torch. Shouldnt need to get it over 500°f really. Then a pry bar between the two. Probably best done with it laying on its side. 

Nice looking anvil. 

10 4.... I will put a bar to it and some heat.

Does anyone know if these Trenton anvils came red or did someone paint it red along the way? This one has a reddish hue to the sides and under the horn. There are also numbers on the bottom, 214206.  Is that a serial number or does it have to do with weight? I can't weigh it because it's stuck to the metal base. 

I'm sure you will succeed in getting it off, even if you have to get a bigger hammer.:lol: The number under the horn is the serial number. I bet someone with a copy of Anvils in America will be along to tell ya when it was made.

Here is a hint for getting the best out of the insanity. READ THIS FIRST

Looking at the picture that shows the top looking down, sort of looks like the angle iron has been hammered in on the sides. Might try prying it out a little. Your Trenton looks like a great anvil. Hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face.

15648790166208264573719897604833.thumb.jpg.744cb7e8bfab209e92914ce7757d27d5.jpgGuys.... You were correct!  It was wedged on that stand pretty darn good.  Pry tool and a few choice words and it came right off. 

After I put the wire wheel to sides, horn and base, you can really see the weld marks where the top and bottom halves have been joined. Pretty cool. 

When I put the boiled linseed oil on, should I lightly torch the sides with the oil or just let it sit? 

Also... Any chance someone could tell me when it was made? It's marked 100 pounds and the serial number is 214206. 

Thank you for your help.