I Forge Iron

New Foundry Build

Hello All!

New member here and new to forging metal. My ultimate goal is to learn metalworking, being a blacksmith and maybe even become a blade smith. One step at a time. Over the past couple years, read all I could and scanned tons of websites to learn what to do and how to do it. My first attempt at a forge was the 2 bucket forge. Learned a bunch on what to do and what not to do! In the end, the forge ate itself and died a horrible death. Even the crucible I was using did not make it! Trying to use all the metal for green sand casting, only using aluminium and brass currently. 

So I started work on the second forge. Was able to find 2 old LP Tanks that I cut up to make the top and bottom. Added handles, hinged the top  and made the tube for the opening (8" Sakrete form tube with a plywood base). The refractory is the basic mix (Portland cement, perlite, silica sand and fire clay) and has cured for well over 3 weeks. The wheeled cart is a 2x4 frame with a 1/2" plywood bottom filled with a mortar mix.  Did use some Sakrete red color on the mortar mix. Going to clean up the edges! Cut two holes for the venturi burners. Went out today and got the 6"x1-5/8" round 1018 steel standoff. Not sure that is the name for what it does. Next is to make the second burner, mount them and paint the forge. 

Some questions that I would like to get good info about. The 1018 steel standoff, is that a good thing or should it be avoided altogether? The top of the forge is solid, should I make a vent hole in the top? What is the best way to monitor temperature? Where can I get some good tongs and pouring rig? What am I missing? 

Thanks in advance! IMG_20190616_175913371.thumb.jpg.f4703ef16d52807460b3346938211ed0.jpg

Kevlar99

IMG_20190615_183504322_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190616_175341090.jpg

IMG_20190626_185653208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190728_173004149_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190728_173220815_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190730_153346820_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190730_153415563_HDR.jpg

I don't see an exhuast vent in your casting furnace's top lid. You need about a 6" diameter exhaust hole if you plan running two burners all out. Most guys would use about an 8" diameter high alumina round kiln shelf sliding on top of the lid to adjust the amount of exhaust to the burner input.

If you're mainly planning on casting you will probably get better information from the Alloy Avenue website (formerly Backyard Metalcasting).  Some of our members here do a bit of casting, but our main focus is mashing metal.  At Alloy Avenue their focus is on casting.

Mine's interchangeable, I lay my propane furnace down to forge metal. Or, I stand my forge up to put in a crucible and melt metal. It was mainly built as a small furnace, about 8 pounds of Bronze.

Yes, you need a good sized vent. I make mine a little larger than I think I need, then I can block it off with a fire brick if needed. Two burners may not give you double heat, especially if you only use one 20 pound propane tank. It will tend to freeze up, warm water bath helps. What do you plan to melt?

Is that 1018 steel for a plinth? That would be a huge heat sink. Just use firebrick or make one from your refractory cement. You did use high temp refractory, right?

On 7/31/2019 at 6:16 AM, Steve Sells said:

one does not use a forge for casting, I will change your title for you

The less dedicated to a single purpose some tool is, the less efficient it will be. But using  a forge as a casting furnace, or visa versa isn't anything like the drop in efficiency of a lathe-mill-drill, etc.