Chris The Curious

Show me your vise stands

What you need for stability is to make the floor plate large enough for you to stand on  and make the upright strongly attached to it.  If you use a disk for the floor plate you can tip it up and roll it to a new location.

If you are standing on the vise support it will be MUCH harder to get it to move---every try lifting yourself off the floor by grabbing your nose and pulling?

23 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

every try lifting yourself off the floor by grabbing your nose and pulling?

Do you have video!? PLEASE say yes! :D

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's my most used vise + stand. The counterweight is removable should you want to move the vise around; those iron discs are 60 pounds each :D

I don't know why, but this vise with two legs takes pounding and heavy forging  without any issue. In fact, I clamped the head of a traintrack in it, and used it as backup anvil for straightening small things, worked like a charm.

mvg; Bart

twolegvise1.jpg

twolegvise2.jpg

It looks plenty sturdy to me. No mystery why it can take a beating. Probably could handle more abuse than a lot of stands. 

Pnut

Any examples of ordinary bench vices being mounted to stands? I don't really have a workbench as such so I need to build something for the rusty pile of rubbish I'm picking up this evening!

On 9/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, ohowson said:

Any examples of ordinary bench vices being mounted to stands?

I have two:

34724EDE-5B0C-44AA-AE41-BFB0F3E7C540.jpeg

The one on the right towards the back is my big Columbian bench vise, mounted on my old anvil stump with an added flat base. I don't like it, and plan to change it to something more like the stand above with the removable weight plates.

The one in the foreground is mounted on an arrangement of 2" square tube that fits into my portable hole/striking anvil. Too wobbly for filing work, but I've been using it to hold things that need to get welded, and it works great for that.

the big post vise (5 inch?) was mounted to a section of 2x6 lag bolted thru the studs on the shop wall. Stuff kept coming OFF the wall in the shop so a free standing vise stand was bolted together (pre welder) from a cafe table stand, some random diamond plate I had on hand and a big cast iron sheave pulley for the base. The sheave pulley was a failed flywheel-on-a-treadle-lathe project.

Second vise, a 4 inch and was mounted at right angles to the bigger one on the stand.

Visemod1.jpg

0806vise.jpg