I Forge Iron

Casting in a fire pot

Supaflupa

I want to make the move from propane to coal and I plan on using an old charcoal grill how people use riveters forges by casting in the Firepot and everything. I’m on a bit of a tight budget with this and good furnace cement isn’t cheap. Anyone know a cheaper alternative I can use to cast in the table I do plan on casting the pot separately out of a good furnace cement.

If you can find a junk brake rotor, around 8" inner diameter by 2-3" deep, for your fire pot theres no need for any coating or anything. Just fill in around it with clay and sand mix. Clay as in dug from the ground if you have clay soil. If not cheap cat litter is clay based. 

Go to your local mechanic (with a box of doughnuts or maybe a couple bottle openers) tell them what you are looking for and why. My money would be that they have a couple brake drums lying in their scrap pile. I know we got about 500 drums and rotors laying in the corner of my shop. 

If you get a rotor make sure it is off the rear wheel that have a shoe style parking break. We call them top hat rotors around these parts. Rotors are for disc brakes and generally only have a small dish where the hub bolts. Drums are for brake shoes and have 2",3",4' even up to 8" dish. The shoe style parking brake basically has a drum built into a rotor. 

Do an image search of "rear brake rotor" and you can see the difference i speak of. I would post the images but i am not sure of copyright. 

1 hour ago, Supaflupa said:

I think you have it confused with mortar. Their are some that do both but the one I plan on using is meant for creating seats for the bricks to sit in it isn’t for sticking them together.

I hate to break it to you but IDF&C isn't the one who's confused.

The difference between refractory mortar and cement is negligible, MOST are pretty interchangeable. Either is overkill for claying a fire pot, clayey soil just moist enough to hammer in place is plenty good and you won't have to worry about getting it out when it's burnt out.

Frosty The Lucky.