I Forge Iron

Peter Wright or Peter wrong anvil ID

Hi, just picked up an anvil locally and for the price couldn’t pass it up.  Upon inspection I  initially thought it was a PW but further inspection looking at the feet and on the underside of the base is a triangle and I have never heard nor seen anything like it on a PW? Now I have two clear questions 1) what do you all think it is and 2) use it or restore it or????? Here’s some pics for you to check out. Thank you for your time I truly appreciate it. 

Jim M.

01B2F595-5BA8-4D08-8A94-9AA558E05E90.jpeg

2258AE56-42C4-47B4-8D68-13B0DC5EB9DE.jpeg

56C1733B-BC06-456F-8821-7D8B4D30BFD3.jpeg

A085FA72-8C1D-4754-9404-1216BFA153A3.jpeg

6E33093C-EB1A-4474-B458-7781E9262FBF.jpeg

Cool I was hoping you’d say that, I was concerned with the left side edge missing some & the sway. There is a p left on the side but who knows. All I care is that it works and it does, great rebound and a nice ring to it. Thanks for the reply’s 

The pitting is from long term rust but the face looks good. The chipped edge is an issue but you have the other one to work on so I'd just let it be till I'd used it a while. Then if you need to radius it and use it as a fuller. Welding and grinding is a last resort, without EXPENSIVE lab work you don't know what the face is except "high carbon" steel, there could be alloying metals that'd make it problematical to weld. The heat affect zone (HAZ) always effects the surrounding steel and can do serious damage to the face next to the weld.

Have you done a rebound test to determine the condition of the face? Forget using a 1" bearing ball, that's from the MORE is better crowd and doesn't tell you anything an easy to carry 3/8" or 1/2" bearing ball will. They're just easier to find if they take a wild bounce but can you imagine carrying a 1lb sphere around in your pocket? I can carry 3-4, 1/2" bearing balls without noticing so they always go with me when I'm: yard, garage, rummage, etc. saling. Gotta brush the dirt and crud off in either case to get a clean bounce and if the face is beat up the ball may take a wild bounce. 

The rebound test. Drop the ball from a reasonable height and estimate how far back it bounced as a %. If you're not practiced at this kind of estimation hold a scale: ruler, tape measure, etc. on the anvil face and drop the ball from the 10" or 100mm(?) mark and note how far it bounces back.

60% or less is not good at all. 70% or better is okay to good enough. What you really want to see is 90% or better, that's prime territory.

If it weighs more than maybe 15-20 lbs. it's not a Peter Wrong. Below is me mugging for a pic with a Peter Wrong. An honest to goodness certified by the maker Peter Wrong anvil. Weighs maybe 25 lbs. tops.

Frosty The Lucky.

Jer_anvil1.JPG.a8b66e592db16450f2df16f9e4eaf566.JPG

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Please learn how to trim posts

Frosty,

it’s great to hear your advice. Years ago when I first started I posted on the set up I bought and being over zealous ended up getting a dead piece of (cast iron) you know what I mean. Anyhow you gave me some pointers on safely setting up my forge. I was determined and pounded that cast for a good while but man did it beat me back! This one is 160 pounds as far as the ball bearing I lost mine so I’ll have to get another but I can say I tapped it a couple times wit a hammer and it felt very responsive and the ring is sweet. Honestly I don’t see any reason to repair at this point, I’m thinking it will serve it’s purpose just fine until someday I can buy something top notch. It’s funny this popped up as I’m in the middle of an old unisaw rebuild. Just bought the thing from Erie Penn as I’m just outside Buffalo ny. Alll in all I’m under 300 fro the anvil and the unisaw so I’m doing good I think. Your pic is great, that there must be one of them hollow anvils? I wasted a half hour drive to go look at a hollow anvil not long ago. I wasn’t happy when I got there just like this new one the guy had two pics but one was it laying down and it kind of was like trickery as I got there and sure enough he was hiding the side with damage. Oh before I forget on the identification of my new anvil I’ve been finding faint letters on it. There’s an S on each side of the front base, I also uncovered two p’s, three markings for the hundred weight. Im pretty sure it’s a pw on all accounts. Thanks for sharing your wisdom it really means a lot to me. 

Heh, heh, heh, I left a cast iron ASO as useless in the drill shop when I transferred out and the one given to me some years ago is laying among the saplings unstruck. Sounds like you got some use out of yours unlike me. 

Sounds like a sweet score to me, I think you done good. 

The Peter Wrong was made of sheet steel by Roger Degner, he brought it to a get together. It's not only hollow it floats. It's a gag anvil, he used to have children at demos hand it to him. I understand he'd made a couple but this is the only one I saw.

There are unscrupulous and outright crooked people everywhere, Chris just told is a story about a close call. They're everywhere and the more desirable the item the more careful you have to be. I know I've been screwed enough times I shouldn't be as trusting as I am. Fortunately Deb is like a pitbull bargaining so I let her handle as much as I can.

Frosty The Lucky.