I Forge Iron

ready mix in can?

Would filling a can with concrete work for a form to bend 1/4 round rods? Possible putting in a piece of steel to hold in a vise. I plan to make some beverage stake holders and possible to hold candles. I've looked for pipe with no luck and don't want to spend money on something to be used half a dozen times, I have some ready mix left over from building fence so no cost there. 

If you are working hot steel, certainly, as long as the can and concrete don't get extremely hot, no probs at all, of course if there is a chance of the concrete getting very hot, be mindful that concrete will spit at you when overheated.

What about a log with the bark removed? I bend hot steel on wood with no problems so long as you're not planning on making a large amount.    It should hold up long enough for five or ten without having to be too long a piece of wood. After each piece I move down to unburned wood.

Pnut

Thanks for replies. I have bending forks make from 1/2 round stock that do a great job, but for repeated use a jig will be faster and more uniform. I've got wood patterns that are 20 + years old and might only get occasional use but are so nice when ask to make another rocking horse, stool or steps etc... I'm building up my selection of tools and supplies for forging. 

I like the saying "it's the carpenter not the tools" however the appropriate tool is helpful. 

I assume that you're making the kind of drink holders that are sort of a spring shape on top with a spike leg that pokes into the dirt as can be had commercially in a bit of a crappy lightweight version.

While you are at it, you can make something similar with only about 1 loop on the "spring" end.  Those can sell as flower stakes which hold a tall blooming stalk upright. They work great for big bloom flowers that tend to fall over from the weight. Just an idea to add to your concrete can project.  Not much money in them and they usually have to be painted pretty colors but they are fast to make and can add a buck here and there to your wallet...plus make good "cheap" items for people if you ever decide to set up a sale booth at a fair or something.  You can up the ante` by attaching leaves or doing a decorative scroll end at the top and such.  

• 2 weeks later...