I Forge Iron

Quad-State Sept 27-29 2019

I’m thinking about going, would be my first.  I haven’t found much information about what is going on, times etc.  I’m curious about how much time I should plan on being there.  Looking forward to seeing demonstrations and the tailgate.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:10 PM, Duanen said:

I’m thinking about going, would be my first.  I haven’t found much information about what is going on, times etc.  I’m curious about how much time I should plan on being there.  Looking forward to seeing demonstrations and the tailgate.

Best tailgating is Wednesday afternoon, all day Thursday and Friday.  Demo start Friday evening and all day Saturday.  Give it as much time as you can afford.  Never a dull moment.

And at least half a day Sunday for Demos; though a lot of people are pulling out Sunday afternoon---some killer deals in the tailgating from the I don't want to haul it home to the "they left hours ago." when you go back to buy something.

If you are up to it; camping onsite can be a real hoot.

I have a ride lined up but don't know if I will have the money to go. All depends on if I find a car to buy at the right price or can fix the one I have for a reasonable amount of cash. So I guess my answer to the question who's going is, maybe. It will be the first blacksmithing function of any kind I've been to. I hope I can pull it off.

Pnut

On 8/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, njanvilman said:

Never a dull moment.

I'll be perfectly honest: last year, I feel asleep during a demo. In my defense, I was sleep-deprived, it was right after lunch, and I was seated where the heat from the forge wasn't helping my drowsiness.

And then the hand-held air hammer went off....

Thomas,

She is a quilter and scrapbooker.  She also had fun making a basket at the BAM (Blacksmith Association of Missouri) conference.  They hold classes that ladies may be interested in during the conference.  Kept her happy and busy for a whole day.

I’m very fortunate, she is very understanding and a good sport about my hobbies and I pay her back by taking her to the ocean.  

• 1 month later...

Going to be my first. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

If anyone goes to the wool gathering Thomas has mentioned try the black raspberry ice cream. I suggest on the hot fudge brownie sundae. Oh i guess i should mention that the wool gathering is held at Youngs dairy just north of the village proper. They make their own ice cram, cheese, etc. The pumpkin and sweet potato bread is right tasty also. 

Their is also a couple good eateries in Yellow Springs.  

All this is basically in my backyard. So if anyone needs any suggestions of good local resturants or other things to do, hit me up. 

I've been stocking up for the tailgating. So far I've got 4140 hammer blanks, kevlar sleeves, a 3-phase motor I can't use, and some heavy duty steel rollers that would be perfect for blacksmith's helpers. I just need to figure out what to use for an honesty box/payment can.

All y'all have so much fun you can't hear my teeth grinding out here!  Advice: bring a cooler so you have food to hand and not need to go find it. Camp on site.  Mortgage your kidney first so you have more $$$.  Weather over the years has ranged from finding ice forming in my water bucket overnight to high 90's; dry to massive rains. Go to multiple demos to see which one you want to sit in and take notes on!  Watch out for folks waving their hands while talking.  Cruise the tailgating multiple times; but remember the fellow with that thing you are really wanting *may* cut the price Sunday at noon; or may have left Saturday night.

Don't believe any stories told about me by my smithing friends---they are either understating or overstating the facts of the events mentioned!

Alas, my situation will not allow me to attend. The boss said no problem, I have a ride lined up, but have yet to buy a new used car, and I refuse to spend any money before I'm sitting behind the wheel of of my new beater. When did used cars get so expensive? I bought my last one ten years ago for 500 bucks. I can't find anything with a running motor for less than around 1500 bucks , and running doesn't mean running well either. :angry:

Pnut

I have no first hand knowledge but from what I understand it's the largest gathering of blacksmiths and blacksmithing tools and equipment in the country. That anvil or post vise or whatever you've been looking for is probably there. Also the combined knowledge of all the smiths, demos, how to's, and clinics are there waiting for you to take notes participate, and pick the brains of all the folks there. Not to mention a chance to participate in the community of your chosen hobby.

Pnut

57 minutes ago, ForgeDad said:

I’m just new and having a hard time thinking the hundreds of dollars just to get there is worth it. Would someone help me understand what I am missing 

First of all, welcome to IFI! If you haven’t yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

The great thing about Quad-State for a new smith is seeing possibilities. You get to watch experienced smiths at work in a number of different settings, you can see displays of other folks’ work, and you can meet and talk to all kinds of different people and learn from them. There is also all manner of tools, machinery, materials, and books for sale to fit every budget. 

I get what you’re saying about the expense, but you can camp on-site for cheap and set out a table for tailgating (I’m bringing hammer blanks, Kevlar sleeves, and other goodies) to help offset the cost. I personally will also be making a trip to the scrapyard today or tomorrow to turn some unusable junk into cash. 

Hope to see you there!

The hat is definitely better than " I will be the red neck in a greasy ball cap and camouflage pants." (that will be me by the way.) 

11 hours ago, pnut said:

When did used cars get so expensive?

Just before you needed one. 

11 hours ago, ForgeDad said:

Would someone help me understand what I am missing

Meeting some of the IFI community. Is that not enough? Seriously though this will be my first so i can not tell you what to expect. If you go to the SOFA web site they have photos of past quad state events that can give a better idea maybe. 

Just to give yall a heads up, they are calling for rain on Saturday. Bout time too, we need it bad. 

According to weather.com, Friday is supposed to be a high of 86F, 48% humidity, and 0% chance of precipitation. The predicted high temperature is supposed to be 89F with a 20% chance of rain on both Saturday and Sunday, with 60% and 65% humidity respectively.