I Forge Iron

Hardie clamp

I have a perfectly adequate hold fast, but sometimes I need a little better grip on the work. I'm sure other guys have come up with different designs (and maybe this one too), but I started thinking about it on a walk and decided to built it.

I used an old pipe clamp which threads on the end of a pipe as the clamp. I welded it to a piece of 1" flat bar with a 1/2" hole in it. I then welded that to two pieces of 1/4" x 1" bar which extend down into the hardie.

Before I welded them, I tapered the inside. I then made a wedge out of a 1/2" coupler by tapering the two opposite sides.

M1s4mgS.jpg 

The wedge is pulled by up a threaded rod which extends to the end of the pipe.

0FZFPKK.jpg

Here how it mounts:

SapnSfm.jpg

The thickness of the junction doesn't allow the clamp to extend all the way down, so I made and extension. I used a couple of pieces 3/4" square bar and beveled two edges to hold round stock. The clamp can rotate to whatever angle is desired, and there is a bit of slop in the bottom piece for odd shaped pieces. When cinched down, no amount of clamp pressure will pull the unit out of the hardie. 

6Wgx29O.jpg

Ted

Brilliant!   Looks like it should be fast enough to use so that not much heat is lost while clamping the stock down.  Let us know how you like it after using it for a while.  It's definitely got the wheels in my head turning on building something similar.

Thanks Buzz, It only took me a couple of hours to build. I had a threaded hole in my previous anvil and used the clamp there and it worked great. I've been missing it so I built this one.

You could use the same concept in the pritchel hole using a smaller pipe fitted to the hole. I was going to do that but didn't have any tubing which would fit. 

Greetings Ted,

I made mine a few years ago. My design has a base with a hoop and is secured by a wedge under the hardy hole. The advantage of my design is the adjustable height. I use blocks under the screw to secure the stock. If we keep going with our designs I’m sure one of us will build a better mousetrap. LOL

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

2E50F583-48BC-4E7A-AA0A-538120A697DC.jpeg

641E42EA-12E3-4B71-A825-CE0CD5D3750D.jpeg

That's a nice clamp setup you have there Jim. I was aware of that method of anchoring the clamp, but my anvil is pretty thick below the hardie so I tried something different. The way you did it is probably better in most cases, since it's quicker to set up. 

I have a machinist vice which I want to be able to clamp to my anvil. That will be my next project.

CGL, improvising and making custom jigs and tooling is half the fun of this sport! 

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, CrazyGoatLady said:

... Thinking of all the things I will be able to do so much easier, and ideas like you guys' look like they'd be even easier still:)

Here's some food for thought...

5d16zXl.jpg

This is the small collection I've built over the last 8 months or so (after I got my big anvil). Yours will soon look similar.