I Forge Iron

Anvil 207#

He'll folks, my wife's uncle passed down her grandfather's anvil to us.  I've been over it pretty well and the only markings seen so far are the 207 Lbs on the side.  I saw another post with a Sisco Superior #207 title by Dionne that looks really really close.  This anvil was used well back in the 1940-60s by her grandfather on the family farm in SW Virginia.  It's been hidden in a barn for several years until this weekend and one small hernia later.  Any help about its history, manufacturer, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  We hope to put it to work again soon and happy to keep it in the family. 

20190721_135216.jpg

20190721_135056.jpg

20190721_134621.jpg

20190721_134545.jpg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

Sisco Superior was, I believe, cast by Soderfors making it cast Swedish steel and as top shelf an anvil as made anywhere. Yours looks to be in excellent condition with only a little edge chipping.  Cast Swedish anvils tend to be very hard so edge chipping is common often severe. The only thing that beautiful old lady needs is some hot steel hammered on her to put a shine on her face. A wire cup brush in a right angle grinder to clean off the rust and a preservative finish like Boiled linseed oil, or wax is more than she really needs. I like Trewax a brand name of carnuba paste wax, the stuff they use on bowling alleys that has to be stripped with drum sanders. It's super durable but there are other good ways to prevent her from rusting up again.

What you have on your tailgate there is a truly wonderful anvil, I hope you bought a lottery ticket too that day! It's also an excellent shop size, a bit much for a portable setup but not bad. Do you have a picture of the other side?  May I see it, Please? :)

Do you plan on using it? We'll be more than happy to help you along, beware of what you see on internet videos most are bad info, some outright dangerous. The video section of Iforge has been vetted and are generally good instructional material.

Frosty The Lucky. (anvil envy in play here)

Thanks so much.  I'll get a pic up this week of the other anvil side.  I believe I'm supposed to be looking for a 5 pointed star with Made in Sweden if not mistaken.  I didn't see anything that caught my eye this weekend, but I'll try the wire wheel and baby powder trick.  We're in the middle of our workshop construction with a few minor setbacks for now.  Should be up and running in another month.  We've been piecing together our equipment for many months now and just need a finished roof.  My son, wife and I took a great knifemaking class and really enjoyed it.  Hoping to branch out as we learn into more aspects of blacksmithing.  I stumbled across this group while searching for info on the anvil. 

Don't be disappointed if you don't find a logo or other identifier. Soderfors is a foundry anvils were a sideline and they made anvils for anyone willing to pay the price. They were cast in steel molds and there were only so many patterns and sizes. Your's may have come out of the Sisco Superior mold and have zero connection to the brand. 

Your lady has a typical Soderfors profile and they made thousands probably so you might search the rest of your life and grandkids and not know who ordered it nor history. 

I'm thinking it was one of a job lot imported here and sold to hardware, farm or whatever stores and your Grandfather bought one. Beyond a boat ride and a space on a Feed and Seed floor your Grandfather, you and the next in line might BE it's history.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the info and history.  Her grandfather worked in the SW Virginia coal mines and also worked their fairly large farm.  The family is happy to hear any history and I think they're now chomping at the bit to come over and hammer some metal.  I think that I may have stumbled across the right webpage here.  Take care and thanks again.

20190722_175529.jpg

Edited by Mod30
resize large photos

Welcome to IFI and the insanity, like Frosty said if you edit your profile to show your location it will help answering questions that require knowing where you are located. This thread is full of hints on how to get the best out of the forum and I always suggest reading it. READ THIS FIRST