I Forge Iron

I.D. head

671jungle

I turn: yard, garage, etc. sale ball peins into: cross, straight, angle pein hammers ad other top tools. Keep that old beauty as she is. OR if you really need a ball pein I'll swap you 3 for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Lol, got it. I won’t change her. Didn’t know these were coveted. Thank the gods for saving this hammer from my ignorance.

I ran a file across her and it bit. Could it have possibly been annealed?

maybe dress her and heat treat?

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'll swap you 3 for it.

I’ll send it to you for free! 

It is the least I can do for all the knowledge you share. I’m still pretty amateur, I would butcher the “good tools”. 

I couldn't accept that thank you I was joking. The most I'd do is shine up the face and pein, radius the edges and use it. NO, don't try heat treating it, she's as she was meant to be to use. If you only strike HOT steel the work will move not the hammer. Yes?

OR maybe make it a nice wrought shelf, hanger, etc. and hang it on the wall on prominent display. It's a fine wall hanger. 

I offer the benefits of my: mistakes, experience and experiments because I enjoy helping folks. Honest just making things a little easier or more successful for someone makes me feel good. I'm selfish that way. :)

I've received all the rewards I could want, I've learned far more than I've shared and I have thousands of friendly helpful folks I can BS with anytime I want. What more could a boy want? Your thank you was more than enough.

Frosty The Lucky.

Some big chunks bit out of this head. I was going to dress past the divot but I feel that would take too much material off. 

Also the file eats into it easily. Would that be a problem?

I wire wheeled it and found what looks like forge scale.

ideas on how I should proceed?

I just want to use it. It’s so pretty. 

7502450A-7C87-4F52-99FD-9B289EA88C9B.jpeg

18CD9470-68F1-4C17-AA24-D94360C4EC7C.jpeg

B9461BD1-FA39-493D-8B04-E8DC5BECEA33.jpeg

Since it has already been too hot, you could try heat treating it first, but I say use it. On future heads you buy, you might want to be a little less aggressive with the wire wheel. I took my first “finds” down to bare metal and now wish I hadn’t. Rust is now a problem when if I had just cleaned it up it wouldn’t have been. 

I have a hammer similar to yours, except mine is unmarked. I heated it and twisted the peen to make it a diagonal peen, then heat treated it. I love it, but have to remember to apply BLO fairly often to keep it from rusting.