I Forge Iron

LA anvil prices

Why even put firm on every one of those?  We get it dude, you want a ridiculous price for every anvil you have :D  The problem I have isn't with the guys selling anvils at such high prices, it's with the newer guys willing to pay them.  The market takes care of its self when people pay reasonable prices for things and don't for things overpriced.  It feeds this kind of greed.  I've said it a number of times....when FIF and other shows on forging run their course, there will be a glut of blacksmithing tools out there and the price will drop dramatically.  Guys like this guy will loose their shirt when they have 18 anvils to move and the going rate is 1/3 of what he's asking now.  

I agree too on the impatient wanting it now. They will keep these profiteers in business. It took me over a year to find my HB. Then literally 2 weeks later a 50 lb Vulcan in really nice shape turned up from a seller I always talk to. Got it for $50. 

I refuse to deal with people like that. Most of the sellers at the swap meets I go to are VERY PROUD of their things. The same stuff sits for years. 

There are some banking on anvil prices going even higher than they are now and retiring with what they have stashed. I feel that they will top out when prices like this are at or more than new anvils made of better materials.

Luckily I got mine when prices were reasonable. 95# Hay Budden-$100, 125#JHM - $125, 138# Peter Wright-$100, 150# Vulcan-$50, 170# Hay Budden -$175, 260# Fisher-$250, 306# Soderfors-$200. The Fisher was the first around 1977-79, and the last was the 95# Hay Budden in 2015. If I was starting out today I would be scrounging an improvised anvil.

6 hours ago, Tomas W said:

This one guy single handedly drives all tool prices through the roof

Incorrect.  His buyers drive the prices.  When he finds that he's sitting on a pile of anvils that don't sell, his price will go down.  300+ million Americans, popular hobby because of that tv show, not enought anvils out there.  

New anvil prices are $5 to $9 per pound USD.  

It's not just FIF, some folk just think they own gold. There's a fellow about 30 miles from me who used to teach pottery and ceramics to support building his museum. At one time he was one of the only listings under blacksmithing. Call him, get invited out and find out he's buying or looking for investors in his Alaskan Industrial museum. 

I don't know how many mechanical power hammers he has in one 2 car garage size shed but it's packed to the rafters. Anvils have another shed as do forges and post drills and vises. There is overflow under tarps or just stacked everywhere on the old family farm. The barn was just too scary to look into, I didn't want to get that close.

Deb and I stopped by a few years ago while yard/garage/etc. saling as the pottery company signs were larger and recent with good directions. The old fellow was a near complete invalid with serious health problems but he still had the same dream. Once people found out he has so much good stuff they'd, "FLOCK OUT JUST TO SEE IT!" His words. 

His wife was pretty realistic and just nodded as he went on, probably thinking I'd jump at the chance to be part. I keep my eyes open for the estate sale, we have lots of new guys in the club who are always looking. 

This old guy isn't the only one who thinks the 25 or 50 lb. Little Giant grand dad used on the farm is worth tens of thousands and getting one to turn loose of one is . . . cross your fingers at any price. Show interest and it all must be worth WAY more than what they thought!

It's crazy on all sides.

Frosty The Lucky.