I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, you guys are sweet.   Les, that means a lot.  LOL.. Might not be true but it's sweet just the same. 

Got more work done today after an 8 horse trim day and was able to get up and do some work by myself.   Was so nice and peaceful. 

Was able to get 4 out of the 5 purlins end bolts in. Would have gotten the 5th in and done...   But unsolicited help showed up and it turned into a 3 stooges movie.  2.5hrs and not a single amount of work was done.  LOL.   Just a stuck Lull. 

Les is right. I don't think you realize just how much you contribute to the world around you, Jennifer. You should though. You've taught me a lot and I'm sure countless others. I don't know what you are like in your personal life, but if the way you like to teach and encourage others is any indication, you're a very kind, big hearted person whom any of us would be counted blessed to call you friend. :)

I recall burying my uncles large work truck in mud on site between my brother and I when we were much younger. "No problem, we''ll lift it out with the forklift.", says he. "Not if we bury the forklift too!", says I. :blink:

A full half day later, covered in mud, we reached square one, ready for work.

So today was banner. 

Working all by myself I was able to get the last 5 purlins in, All eave strut brackets in, several of the end secondary reinforcements plates.(CL's) and things cleaned up. 

And this is the reason I am not so fond of winter.  Today was a very long day. I called it quits once the snow started to accumulate on the beams. 

My New Grove man lift. 

20191201_145029.jpg

20191201_145041.jpg

20191201_145127.jpg

20191201_154815.jpg

20191201_154823.jpg

20191201_154851.jpg

20191201_154945.jpg

20191201_195434.jpg

Wow,  I'd take that any day.  The weather here has been unseasonably cold and wet.  I knew this was going to be the case though as soon as the final build date was more solidified.   How I knew you might ask.. Because it's not what I wanted.  Or was it exactly what I wanted and that is why it happened. ? ????

3rd time shoveling today and I all ready plowed 2x.  Supposed to snow till about noon tomorrow (tuesday).   

Thanksgiving was the first time in years I had to shovel---because we had to get to town for the meal. 6" of heavy wet snow. By Sunday it was almost all gone and the ground was drying.  There was a bit of a low bank where the snow slid off the shop roof and I was able to put out my coal forge by throwing snowballs at it on Sunday.

wow,  so it must be colder overall in other geographies.  I was hoping for a long fall. 

How was the arm/aim?  Years ago I had done a huge welding job and had the fire all banked up. It was at a demo.   I took a full 5lb can of coffee water and dowsed the fire and the fire just laughed at the water.  The audience was amazed. 

Well I certainly was glad that my forge is steel and not cast iron...Generally I just rake the fire out and let it cool on it's own but I was welding up that hunk of ??? and had a large fire for my forge and thought some of it might self draft for a long time.  As I don't usually have water in the forge the snowbank was a good excuse... Worked pretty well and I didn't have water running out the ash dump.  I expect I will have some sta-slagtites (clinkertites?) on the bottom of the replaceable grill. I'll take it out and hammer it clean and shove it back in next weekend.

I  am glad to see that you got a boom lift it will make your life much easier. It sounds like you either borrowed or purchased the lift. I have had jobs where I purchased a piece of equipment at the beginning of the job and sold it when I was done because it was cheaper than renting. If you purchased it then you can work on your schedule with out the clock ticking on the rental bill.

It looks like crappy weather to be trying to do your roof system. Have you gotten the supplier to send you a better packing list on your insulation and where each size is intended to be used ?

You are too far down the path to give in to discouragement. Don't give up , look at how much you have accomplished  by your self with limited help , with out a background in this style of building . I am sorry that I am not closer so that I could give you a hand from time to time.

PS:  Vise mount is done and works well and I watched 2 of your videos which were both very good. It is very nice that you are trying to share your skills and talents and are patient enough to put yourself through the videoing process.

Thanks 

David

On 12/2/2019 at 2:23 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

Because it's not what I wanted.  Or was it exactly what I wanted and that is why it happened.

Amongst the unnatural laws of which "Murphy's Law"  is the best known, the one you're describing is called, "The Nonreciprocating" Law. If you mention something good it  won't happen. If you mention something bad it'll happen immediately. 

On 12/2/2019 at 3:03 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

I was hoping for a long fall.

:o?!?!? I can NOT believe someone doing so much tricky ladder work would make the above statement in any context. You're obviously not aware of the Nonrecitrpcating law. We all know you meant autumn rather than taking a header off something tall but the unnatural laws don't care what you really mean, only what you say an they're always out to get you. Please don't tempt fate like that, I've grown fond of you and there are enough of us TBI survivors already.

I'm not about to compare show falls or temperatures, they're different everywhere and weather is always doing it's own thing. I highly recommend letting it warm up and melt rather than rely of shoveling. It was warm then showed that means it was melting when it started making the ground and everything wet. Then it turned cold enough to freeze. No amount of shoveling and scraping will deice things enough to trust standing a ladder. 

I'm following your shop's erection and wishing I were close enough to lend a hand. It's going to be a grand shop, it could be a factory but it'll be a terrific school. Please don't think there is some reason to push things. You've been wanting and planning this for a long time, even losing a season to weather won't end the dream. A bad accident on the other hand. . . .

I really REALLY want to see your teaching center up and running.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks David on all fronts.  

The building is not really the problem nor the insulation..  It's the weather.   I don't care how cold it gets I can still work..  it's the snow that completely leaves me breathless.  I have worked outside in it for 31 years and know the pitfalls with snow from both a danger stand point and from the extra labor needed to deal with it. 

If this building arrived in August it would have been done in short order.  Overall even with short days, and including the 4 days of rain is pretty good I think. 

But now we have 20" of snow on the ground from 1 storm and know the snow is here to stay..  Safety wise I won't be walking the frame as long as there is snow so now the building is on hold and have come to the conclusion   I can't do anything about it.  

Without the snow I can work by myself and get a lot done but now with the snow it's not worth it.   

Bummer to as I have gotten inquiries about class schedules from 5 different people and hate to turn the classes and people away but in reality it won't be till maybe april till the building is done and then I'm off to the 2020 ABANA conference to teach and judge.    

Your help has been priceless on the building..  The hind sight being 20/20 I could build the next one in about 1/2 the time. :)    It's been a huge learning curve..  I did find that the roof purlins on both ends do go over the center sections but don't fit that well till they are bolted down/in vs under which they fit well except 1 bolt hole.    All this will have to be fixed but it's easy now. 

I put on 1 bolt at the EC in each  purlin, then go to RF2 and move  it into position and just move up one at a time.  Easy really.  I moved them into the correct position 1 at a time with the LULL.   Made really good time working by myself last day on it. Got so much done. 

The boom lift was reasonable money and bought it for what 1 months rental would be..  It needs some work but will see how the weather is.  It needs the center swivel re built and a few hydraulic hoses. 

Thanks on the videos.    I do love to teach and the videos are information not really shared or seen else where.   I usually just go make something and leave the cameras filming the whole time.   Editing is the time sucker but the last video on the tomahawk didn't take as long as there was 1 edit and posted it.   Was about 3hrs in editing. 

All videos were filmed between 1hr and 1.5hrs.   It's the amount of free time I have usually after work and before family time. 

Love to see more details on the vise mount.  The photo of the vise up were lacking details but next time maybe?   thanks 

Frosty, thanks just saw your reply after the post to Old Crew (David)..   I will work on the man lift and leave the building till the weather changes. 

personally. I don't believe in Murphy or luck or bad luck..  There is only one tenet to destiny no matter what it is.  Everything happens exactly as it's supposed to. 

Thanks Judson.   

The weather has turned and no longer concerned with finishing the building in a reasonable time frame.. If the weather turns and gives me a few clear days with no snow I'll resume construction but we have 20" of snow on the ground from the one storm and have no great way to clear all the snow and won't work on the beams with snow on the ground or ice.. 

So, if the man lift gets fixed it might be a different story. but the only things left are to install the angle brackets, the front wall and then the insulation and liner. Then side panels and roof. 

I got pretty much everything done that could be done before the snow.  Glad to hear your so busy.. The last work pictures you posted were very impressive. 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

wow,  so it must be colder overall in other geographies.  I was hoping for a long fall. 

Here in sunny San Diego, California, one does not think of snow.... but  Thanksgiving Friday, we had our first snow 6 miles east of us and chains required 14 miles east of us.

Meanwhile, in three weeks, we have received more than a season of rain (8 inches so far) and two small springs have popped up in my yard.

JLP, Hang tough, and BE SAFE!

And watch those pinch points while servicing  that lift!

Robert Taylor

• 3 months later...