I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

Most of the marital ways or divine spirit revolve around the number 9.. 

So nearly all facets revolve around 9..  9 strikes, 9 kicks, 9 directions,  and yup, 9 ways of walking. 

As an interesting side note..   One of the skills is not to wobble back and forth as one moves..  Another one is to move only with the hips vs stepping..   

As a baseline lots of the older stuff isn't talked about "Unless"..  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So today I spent a bunch of hours on the phone both with a Homedepot rep (who was excellent his name is Milton) and several calls to Clopay. 

And I bought a Clopay model 3730 door with reverse angle track and 5ft high lift.  This door is an R26 and 3" thick. 

Not as high (R27) as some of the other models I looked at.. but it was also a little less money..  White, no windows. 3" wheels and track with extra seal on top and sides.  ( The Clopay reps said this door comes with 3" rollers as standard).. 

It will be delivered to me so won't have to drive somewhere to get it.  Not sure of the time frame but as with most things it's probably 3 weeks..   

Interestingly I don't really care..  I'll putter and get it ready for install and have the heater to install.  I figure they go hand in hand. 

The Heater once it is installed all that will be lacking is a connection to the propane tank..  If push comes to shove I have 2 100 gallon tanks I could hook up and the heater has a simple 3 prong plug..  

I finally heard back from one of the tank suppliers but they had the order all backwards..  they said they would call me back in a few days..  On the other hand I spoke to one of my buddies who does heating and plumbing but lives about 50miles away.. I didn't think he was interested, but then turns out he isn't using his phone (nother story) so just never got back to me..  So, he is interested in getting a tank and found a place that I can go pick one up once he sets the deal.. 

Of course now everyone comes back with pricing..   I'll wait to see what my buddy comes up with..  It's in CT so would just have to drive to get it. No biggy.  

CMDC-3730-12.pdf 3730 INSTall-0130006_EN.pdf

Thomas, from what I remember about driving thru NM and Texas some of the views were nearly 100 miles.. and the speed limit was 75mph..    

Instead of " Are we there yet?"  I was " Is that where we are going?"   LOL.. 

I drive about 100miles a day so going distance doesn't even bother me.. 

Last tank full on the F350 picking up a load of hay and another trip going to Springfield, MA with the hauling trailer to pick up a new to me Harig Surface grinder 618 with hydraulic feed and a 240-570V 3phase transformer I still got 17miles to the gallon. 

Average is 19 MPG empty.. 

I get about 600+ per tank full so it's interesting only filling up about once a week.  My audi which got about 24 I'd have to stop few times a week. 

As in much of the western US the views here in Wyoming are commonly 100+ miles.  When you have high mountains separated by broad, flat basins the only thing interfering with your vision is the curve of the earth.  Here at our house we can see peaks 50-60 miles away.  Any further is restricted by intervening mountain ranges.  Much of I-80 and I-25 through WY has a speed limit of 80 mph.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Around here in NW AR, lots of the farmers like to spread tanker loads of chicken blood and juices from the poultry processing plants (which are abundant here) over their fields as fertilizer....you ain't NEVER smelled anything as bad as that if you are downwind!!!!!!!

I've mentioned this before but nothing smells worse than decomposing human.  I won't go into how I know this personally other than to say that it is one of my least favorite memories of Viet Nam.  I think that we are probably hard wired to avoid the smell of a former member of our own species.  Yes, there are other odors that would gag a buzzard off a gut wagon but this one is special in a very horrifying way.

5 hours ago, George N. M. said:

I've mentioned this before but nothing smells worse than decomposing human. 

That's a fact. Growing up I was friends with a kid who's father was a mortician and funeral director. As a teenager I worked at the funeral home with him and on occasion would go to pick up people's loved ones after they found them. It's a smell you never forget. 

Pnut

Don't even want to know how that smells then, worse thing I ever smelled was from some grease in a piece of farming equipment, no idea what the man did with it. As soon as I opened it up we just started gagging and had to leave the factory.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, George N. M. said:

I've mentioned this before but nothing smells worse than decomposing human.

It is interesting that for us and lots of animals that stench of death is one to be avoided, yet it calls to others.. 

Evolution and how things balance out is amazing. 

Humanity and or the lack of it as justified by human existence escapes logic and reason for me. 

I'm a live and let live kinda person and see the head of a snake as to what needs to be removed if that snake threatens another vs the feet or hands.  But, that is just me.. 

So today was nearly 9hrs of moving the last of the big items into the shop. 

Today we moved  the 13x72 Southbend Lathe and the 3613 DoAll bandsaw.  It was an extremely tough day. 

Because there was no way to get close to the garage with the Lull so had to lever everything close enough to snatch it up. 

The saw is in the 3000lbs range and while it is on a wheeled dolly in the garage it was cold pack tar. and it just rips with the weight of the machine..

Originally I used C channel like rails and it works perfectly. But I used up all the C Channel so had to wing it..  It would move as long as I put metal sheet down but it would come off, etc, etc, etc.. 

20210102_181915.jpg

Jen:  It looks smaller once you start putting stuff in it.  At least everything is out of the weather.  Do you have a plan for where everything goes or are you going to have to experiment?  You'll be surprised how fast it starts feeling like home once everything is set up.  The space starts to welcome you.  That's how it was with my new shop.

Anyway, another milestone reached.  Congratulations. 

George, I actually accounted for every item when I chose the size of shop.  there won't be any extra room.. 

A lot of the items that are "low use" will live on casters or use a pallet jack (steel floor mounts raised so the pallet jack can get under them to move, but once lowered are on the cement directly) to move them around for use.  All of the tire benders and tire/axle shrinkers will be mounted this way and stored so they can simply be pulled out when needed. 

I have made a sketch.. the exact spacing of the forges and area is off some but will give an idea..  

I do have plans to have the mechanical hammer and a Anyang 165 hammer the 165 coming in the future.. Also a 50Ton hydraulic forging press.  

Work station number 2 will be my personal work station but ideally have room for 5 to 6 work station stations setup like the ones shown on the sheet.  Also the floor receivers are off angle wise some so can be used for vise mounts for more students once gas forges are in place. Center mounted gas forge in work station gives potential for 8 to 10 students.. 

Once the shop starts to coalesce I will store or sell off the items not used and this will also create more room.. As it stands right now 20 anvils for 4 work stations is a tad overkill. 

Some I have spoken with said they would not have an enclosed office space with showroom.. They would get rid of it as Non-useful space.. But ideally I want to use the space as showroom and shipping center and semi clean room..  There is a huge window outside that will allow looking into the office with a huge window inside so from outside someone can look thru to the forging area.. So, if I am in there working at the forge they can watch from out side and look into the the showroom.. 

I like your comment about the space welcoming you..  I all ready kind a feel that way and getting excited to move on to getting forges ready, the welders in and setup and having all the tools in one place..  I have never had everything setup at once.. Everything has always been in separate areas for which ever (life style) i was focused on at the time. 

the next huge hurdle is electric because a lot of this hinges on whether the electric company will step up and actually give me the 400amp service..  Since this is a second SE (service entrance) they will already have a tariff and upcharge no matter how much electric is used.  But they make one beg to get it setup.. 

20210103_105441.jpg