I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arkie, More like pull out the blanket and pillow and take a good long Rip Van Winkle nap. 

Tonight I got in at 9pm.   Started at 8:30am. 

Chelonian, thanks.. Now comes the fiddly stuff with trim work.  I gotta get it fully seals up.  Then I can take a little bit of time.  Nice seeing everything that was piled up getting smaller. 

only a few more pieces of stuff left.  Exciting for sure. 

So, it turns out the corner trim was supposed to be installed before the roof. 

Also, the bottom sections for the bottom L was supposed to be closed if one wants to keep critters out. 

The instructions call to end the L at the foundation border. 

So today I fabricated corners to seal the trim.. 

the instructions also call for the upper outside TR080 to sit against the high rib.  Well, according to the instructions the sheets are where they belong yet the trim is nearly 1" gap between it and the corner trim. 

it's stuff like this that is so frustrating which time and time again, I complain about..   

If the instructions simply said, fit this and measure that to get correct fit.. Instead of do this.. and then you have to completely remove this and bend this to fit this.. 

Shoddy or cobbled for sure.   I'm lucky to have a skill set otherwise being at the mercy of Corps like this would be a huge problem. 

20200927_113553.jpg

20200927_120758.jpg

20200927_135218.jpg

20200927_150003.jpg

Arkie; I thought that was just the mounting plate for the JLP on an anvil sign?

JLP--gotta warn you that folks will see how you modified that system to make it work and then want you to do theirs!  Just Say NO!

I had  cat squeezing in a gap on my shop till she got too big; had 3 kittens on my back porch this last week.  I wouldn't mind a barn cat but the dry sand/gravel shop floor might be too much of a temptation.

Maybe mount the sign on the inside of a garbage can lid or the bottom of a dumpster? 

Not having a man lift I'd be tempted to pull everything away from the walls, cover it with tarps and call the spray urethane company that insulated the house. The house is not only insanely well insulated but it was really reinforced by the foam. Glues everything together, our place has gone through four or five 7+ earthquakes in the 22 years it's been up without a crack in the drywall.

How much wind do you get Jennifer? The foam rubber weather stripping I screwed between trim, etc. lasted till the first 50 mph wind, it's been blowing out since. I've considered that foaming rubber calking/glue I see on TV. I think the trick would be not injecting enough it pushed trim and roof away from the other cladding.

Frosty The Lucky.

The suggestion of removing the Bison sign is a good one. 

I'll have to look at a replacement.. 

Maybe an anvil shaped item with a light in it.  Something different and cute. 

I struggled today to get much done.  I spent about 2 hrs today and about 2 hours yesterday trying to figure out how to get the metal to lay properly around the front I beams for the panels below the roof.  I finially decided just to notch them the full length of the distance from bottom or roof panel to bottom of beam.   I will add a filler piece back to the top. 

I have to figure out how to seal it weather tight as there are no nothing in the directions and no extra trim pieces for this detail. 

I'm running out of SA and is the only way I can think of to create support for extra cover pieces. 

I was able to get rid of the container today so that is a great thing. No more $$$ going out for that. 

Thomas,  if I could find a crew that was willing to work. Setting up Metal buildings might be a good gig..  I was quoted 32K to put this one up.  

A manlift, A Lull and 4 guys  would be ample and now knowing what I know, I imagine just a few more builds and I'd have it completely sorted. 

The complexity of this building was the front roof and the information that was out of order.  I won't ever forget the info. 

Frosty, All the foam has screws threw it an/or mastic and screws to hold it in place.   As for spray in insulation I discovered it's not fire resistant unless it has a special additive or is painted. 

Ideally the fabric was to give the interior a semi finished appearance until I can afford to sheath the inside with some metal siding. 

R35 roof and R28 Walls. With the thermal barrier applied to any metal to metal the inside even now is about 5Degrees cooler then outside even in direct sun light..  Also the sheets on the sun side because of the thermal barrier the metal studs right behind the sheathing is cool to the touch. 

I think it will be ample for weather.. If not I will add more insulation in the form of foam as a layer under the steel sheets when they go it.  Ideally I want it to be easy to heat and cool. 

20200929_134857.jpg

20200929_170941.jpg

Thomas, If I knew better and hind sight was not 20/20 I'm not sure I would go this route again. 

If I had not put the building up, I could have retired or semi retired..  I could have sold off all the anvils etc, etc and just found a few schools to travel to, so I could teach. 

Cheaper, easier.. Not sure as rewarding but.. 

I'm like a dog with a bone..  Once I get an idea be it 30 minutes or 30 years later i'm extremely patient..  I will eventually align both time and space and make things happen. 

With this sometimes it comes back to bit mee as it waylays a better common sense approach to life. 

As and example.. 35 years ago.  I'd love to setup a school..  8 blowers, 5 tire benders, 2 mandrel cones, 8 shears, 8 punches, 20 anvils, 6 firepots, etc, etc now if one figures what I have tied up into it both in time and money. 

10 years ago when this was set in motion for real, I was involved in a lot of different metal aspects which now I don't have much interest in. (custom car parts, scuba equipment, etc, etc). 42 vs 52

I'm not saying this to be a downer.   I get asked all the time about teaching and having someplace to do it will be great. 

But I think now I could do things differently though now, there is no going back.  

We'll see how it all turns out and if nothing more I'll have a really nice and warm place to hang out. 

It is going to be quite splendid.. :) 

39 minutes ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Maybe an anvil shaped item with a light in it.  Something different and cute. 

Hmmmm, replace the Bison emblem with a: back lit, big eyed, anvil with "Hello Smitty," under it? I believe that meets your criteria. :)

Urethane isn't as flammable as folk think but you certainly want a barrier between it and the shop. Isonene (IIRC) foam is or was being touted as a fire proof replacement but I don't think it has or had near the R value. I don't even know if it's still being sold or used in buildings. 

If you want to go pure blacksmith shop, insulate it with Kaowool!

Before you go into business erecting these things you might want to consider they aren't likely to all go together the same way or even close. The company I bought mine from were able to answer questions about problems between the directions and reality because they made them in house. A local company, office and plant, about 25 miles from here. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Jennifer, throughout all the past aspirations, materials, retirement, semi-retirement, you mentioned....I sincerely feel your calling is teaching blacksmithing.  In that, you will find all the gratification you could ever want.  Blacksmithing is one trade, one skill that will never die as fads so often do.  Retirement is not always what it's cracked up to be.  Teach, enjoy and do what YOU want to do till you can't hold your hammer up any longer!  You've earned every bit of it.

Jennifer,

All of the above smiths  are correct in their assessment of your experience, knowledge, and teaching ability.

And the SLAG  heartedly agrees!

Teaching is rewarding and is a superb way to gain knowledge from your students. (they have their own perspective).

We really do not thoroughly know a subject until we teach it.

Good job!

And all the best going forward.

SLAG.

Line it with kaowool and heat it with those Frosty big barn torpedo heaters!

Back in the 90's I was living in the inner city of Columbus Ohio and thinking of taking early retirement, move to the country and opening a smithing school.  So I started to "tool up" as basic smithing tools were cheap and easy to find.  Then the tech bust hit.  My company laid off 100K employees, me included---still 10 years short of early retirement *and* I had acquired adult onset juvenile diabetes and so had to have medical insurance!

Found a job in beautiful NM and moved all my smithing stuff out here on my own dime.  Now I am looking to retire when I qualify for medicare---that health insurance thing again; but am too remote to make a living from a smithing school and several good ones are already in NM.  So I will teach informally and putter in the shop as long as I can.  Funny thing; one of my students/friends back in Ohio opened a smithing school in Columbus Ohio and has been making a go of it...

On 9/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Frosty said:

Hmmmm, replace the Bison emblem with a: back lit, big eyed, anvil with "Hello Smitty," under it? I believe that meets your criteria. :)

Urethane isn't as flammable as folk think but you certainly want a barrier between it and the shop. Isonene (IIRC) foam is or was being touted as a fire proof replacement but I don't think it has or had near the R value. 

Before you go into business erecting these things you might want to consider they aren't likely to all go together the same way or even close. The company I bought mine from were able to answer questions about problems between the directions and reality because they made them in house. A local company, office and plant, about 25 miles from here. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I looked into the foam a few years back and the flame resistant stuff was more money for less R value..  It does offer some extra structural support though.     The turn off was that it had to be covered with either paint or metal panels for melt resistance..  Not as much a fire aspect.. But melting is a problem..  Also I figured the reason why I wanted steel was to eliminate the fire risk. 

I did not want to add anything back in that might detract from this facet of the metal building.  

So the cost of the foam was nearly 2X that of the fiberglass and the liner only added another 200.00 to the price with an increase in R value.  It is not fire proof but is resistant as well.  But, once the shop starts to produce income I will start covering the walls with while metal sheets.. 

I was totally kidding on the building of these..  But one never knows.   turns out there is a steel building MFG about 40 minutes away and I have been buying some supples from them that I am running short on. 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, jlpservicesinc said:

We'll see how it all turns out and if nothing more I'll have a really nice and warm place to hang out. 

It is going to be quite splendid.. :) 

One day, Jennifer, I will read this thread from start to <......>, and it will read like an epic novel.. Not Kidding.

As I struggle with my piecemeal operation:  I am assembling a fabrication shop, but neglected to put up a building, I believe it will, indeed, be quite splendid.  And that is part of the inspiration that keeps me going. 

Your accomplishment is a thrill to me, and greatly appreciated......

Robert Taylor

On 9/29/2020 at 7:39 PM, JHCC said:

As the recipient of a bit of Jennifer’s tutelage, I must agree with this assessment.

You, JHCC, are one lucky dude!!!  I think nearly everyone on IFI would like to take some tutelage from her.  I wonder how she will fit somewhere around 50,000 students in her new building??? LOL

On 9/29/2020 at 8:22 PM, arkie said:

Teach, enjoy and do what YOU want to do till you can't hold your hammer up any longer!  You've earned every bit of it.

thanks Arkie,  Thats the plan so far.. :) 

On 9/29/2020 at 8:39 PM, JHCC said:

As the recipient of a bit of Jennifer’s tutelage, I must agree with this assessment.

thanks John, that is high praise indeed.  

On 9/29/2020 at 9:10 PM, SLAG said:

All of the above smiths  are correct in their assessment of your experience, knowledge, and teaching ability.

Teaching is rewarding and is a superb way to gain knowledge from your students. 

We really do not thoroughly know a subject until we teach it.

Thanks.. Very kind..   

This is the first time in all the years of being self employed that I am putting the cart before the horse so to speak. 

I usually build business as the business dictates.. More money/clients the more gets invested back into the company/business. 

This is the first time acting on a "Field of dreams" approach and while I get requests for lessons it's unclear exactly how it will materialize.  :) 

I'll just have to see.