I Forge Iron

JLP Blacksmith Teaching Center.

Shazamm!....you're a pretty good welder and metal worker too!  It's amazing how you handle and move all that heavy iron.  I see now how frustrated you were/are with all the iron parts of that big puzzle.  Carry on, looking good.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Arkie..  I like this kind of work.. Over the last few years I moved away from having the welding stuff handy which includes all the larger cut off saws and such. 

I do quite a but of smaller welding projects but the larger stuff not so much anymore. 

Once the shop is done I will have easy access to all the equipment so that will be really nice.. I have a barn to build next.. :)

And thanks.. 

the factory beam and the 1 I installed.  I gained about just over 2 inches of clearance. 

20200816_143803.jpg

20200816_144708.jpg

It is funny you mention this.. 

If the building was smaller I probablyl would have done that.  I have 50 8Ft long Guard rail I beams that I planned on building a building with. 

The only real gripe with this building and the insulation system is the lack of good instructions.. Everything is a guessing factor and I spent so many hours trying to figure out this or that and many things were done 2 or 3 times when could have been done just once had the directions been clear. 

As an example it lists on the packing slip 5 different screw types..  With number 12 and 14 needed in certain places. The screw heads are very high with rubber washers on all of them. 

The only difference is the screw size..  yet in the instructions it only lists screw size with no reference or picture of the correct screw.. 

I spent 3 hrs checking and looking for a flat head SDS to use where a flat head would be ideal, but all they supplied was a Galum Tek Screw in the correct size which the washer and head is nearly 5/16" or more tall. 

There are no installation videos on the  Bayliner insulation system for side walls.. ONly for roofs..  So there are literally no good instructions for the installation. 

Oh and 2 more complaints though they are the same one.    These people selling these buildings as well as the insulation systems sellers should really offer better tech support and prepurchase sales information..  I told the insulation person I did not want the Fallsafe or safety net system..  

She swore it was not that system..  It was exactly that system so it's super tough to install unless you live in a desert where there is no rain. or have a crew of 4 people on the roof/walls.  Once installed it will offer a better insulation factor as it is completely sealed but dang it's a bunch of extra work and again the instructions are completely missing. 

When I say missing, they supply instructions and drawings with the specs.  But they are in some forgien language.. Kidding, but they don't offer real info.. Very generic. 

Knowing what I know now. I would not have bothered to go this route at all.  I have had several offers to teach at other places and could have retired with the money this has cost me. 

LOL.. sorry tired and frustrated tonight..    Had 4 hrs of paid help today and the only thing we did was to organize the end wall sheets so they are ready for cutting.  I then spent the next 4 hours after that looking at how the insulation system is supposed to be installed though the instructions count 14 straps but according to the directions it accounts for only 12. 

the side wall insulation had nearly no info on install.  It's going to be tough.  Again tired and frustrated. 

I swear the person who wrote the instructions has never built anything in his/er life and the drawings . . . Whew saved you guys a rant about the memories.  Had I known more and ignored the instructions I would've put the man door and overhead on the same end where it should be. There are a number of places I could put another IF I didn't mind putting it under the pitch of a building with no overhang. 

I understand your frustration even when things are going well it's frustrating. Please feel free to gripe about the thing to me. We can swap stories.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty.   When I ordered the building for some reason I had the foresight to tell them that the doors will be put in at some future date and they should plan for no doors but the main big ones and that I need to have all the supplies shipped at the same time. 

They rebuffed with " Call us when it's time and we can ship those items then"..    I was like, no just send it all, the truck is coming my way. 

There is giong to be a lot of custom once the floor goes in..  I can't put the door or window in till the floor is done. 

With this,  I have made some pretty good progress since last update though it does not seem like so. 

there is a lot of little things that could have been done before the building was 90% assembled yet, they list them in the trim section. 

Also, it's crazy how much stuff is  "KNow it" or figure it out..  (Semi custom).. 

Ok, so since last update I have gotten the siding lower trim in, the front Trim section started and the front outer trim section inner section installed..  

So, the areas that have full Girts with openings in the foundation will have PT put in with plywood till the Doors and such can be afforded.  Then the false wall will be removed and the item installed.  Again can't be built till the floor is poured. 

Started putting the banding in for the Skyliner system but found that I can not tension the side bands till the walls are up..  With tension it will bow the Eve struts in. 

I did call and leave 8 messages at the insulation company and after about 2 weeks a guy called me back.  He has been very helpful and the plans for the install sent/ copies, are not even close to what needs to be done. 

20200904_190738.jpg

20200904_190744.jpg

20200904_190803.jpg

20200904_191302.jpg

20200905_173326.jpg

20200905_173330.jpg

20200905_173350.jpg

20200905_173422.jpg

20200905_173441.jpg

20200829_204009.jpg

20200905_185019.jpg

20200905_194019.jpg

Here you can see the long bands installed and tensioned..  Then short bands have not been tensioned yet. 

20200831_190320.jpg

20200901_184506.jpg

20200901_185228.jpg

20200901_185250.jpg

Yeah, the folks I bought mine from wanted to hold off delivering the roof and sheathing until I was ready for it. I asked if the company was really going to cancel the sale and refund my money. I'm on my way for the next load have the sheet metal ready to load or my check. I'll return the first load after the check clears. 

It was all cheer and smiles, everything was loaded quickly and neatly, not a bump or nudge. Funny how much more careful they were this load, the trim was all taped together with 1" x 4" on the inside and several layers of cardboard on the outside. Seeing that rolling the roofing, sheathing trim, gutters, etc.  is another side of the company the cardboard and lumber was extra on their part. 

It's a good company with an excellent rep but I paid for it I want it. It can sit in MY yard just as well as they can roll it when I'm ready for it. Why? I've talked to too many people that color can be an issue and I ordered a less than common color, light gray to match the house. Even then the roof is straight  up galvy instead of hunter green. They knocked $200 off the price when I asked about as they loaded. The trim's hunter green though so okay, that's close to my shop colors. 

Turns out plain shiny galvy roof was a good thing the inside is an oven on sunny days as it is. 

I'll never erect one of the things again. I'd take out a loan to have them erect it knowing what I know now. We'd have some serious sit down conversations about the BLUE PRINTS they worked from too and I can be one picky customer. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Awrksmokey,   Thanks and for sure..  I'll post back when the school is open.  I figured it would have been finished by now.  (shaking head and throwing arms up)..  

IFCW,  Thanks, yup,  Majority by my lonesome..  Coming up to the part where I gotta have help.. 

Tomorrow will be the last solo day..  I have to finish the install on the backside SA  and install SA inbetween all the uprights for some place for the sheeting screws to drill into..  

They shorted me on 1 piece of SA.. I could have really used it.   I really need 10 more pieces for when I install the insulation. 

I might have to go to a sheet metal place and get some made. 

Every muscle sore..   LOL..   Butt too..  Sitting on the beams has toughened my butt some.  LOL.. 

My wrists and elbows have been especially tired and sore by the end of the day.    The combo of pressure feeding screws and then wrist torque is the problem.. 

Another 6000 screws and both the wrist and elbows will feel like brand new..  Just in time to be finished they won't be sore anymore.. :)

On the back section there was 1 purlin that had a dip in the center..  I had to use a hammer and dolly to push it back up and then bend it some to flatten it. For some reason all the purlins on this side were a little funky on the ends. 

20200906_173552.jpg

20200906_173927.jpg

20200906_183222.jpg

20200906_183232.jpg

Yeah, the iron gets tweaked in shipping, just the way it's stacked can do it. I had a post with enough bend I couldn't compensate or work around it. Happily the shop floor has gozintas and I have a porta power so I was able to straighten it. :)

I forgot to say so in my last post, but you're doing a crazy heck of a job!

You aren't REALLY hand turning :o all the bolts and screws are you? Please tell me I misunderstood you. I used my 1/2" impact wrench, 3/8" rattle wrench and battery screw gun and my arms and wrists ached at the end of the day. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks.   

I do have electric rattle guns.. But don't trust them to fully torque to spec.. So every bolt gets checked with ratchet and wrench.  Once you have done enough of them with the rattle gun you can tell the sound of a fully tightened bolt/nut. 

But each one still gets tested.   Also its funny that you go along and you see one that does not have a nut or can see it's loose..  :) 

As you know and as mentioned my largest complaint with all of it is the lack of good directions for either the building or the insulation. 

The last few days I've taken apart the front wall to insert the SA into it so it can act as a mount for the corner beads.. 3 panels connect at the roof line to building..  ( would have been great to know this before).. 

Then today I had to pull apart the front eve struts so I could slip the trim under it all..  Would have been so much easier to do when i originally installed it.   

Anyhow, not a fan of the redo.. 

So, yes between using the rattle guns and tightening bolts to torque, and driving in self drilling screws my wrists, elbows and hands get sore..  the other thing that gets sore are my feet since I am walking on the beams and such.. 

Basically just out of shape and old now.. LOL..  It takes me a really long time to get into shape now so when the building is done, i'll just be getting into building shape.. LOL..  :) 

So here is the latest saga..  While I understand the basics of what the diagram has.  I'm used to having proper fillers.. I'm guessing the opening stays there and this filler plate is inserted and riveted.. 

You can see the nice white piece on the front..  C channel 22ft+ out of 22gauge sheet metal 8 inches tall with a 2.5" leg..  Took me awhile to figure out how to move it into place without it bending into a pretzel. 

First one was touch and go and did have a misshap..  Second one was done in 1/2 the time once I figured out the method.  I had to completely remove the eve struts put the trim on the beams to support it. Slide in the eave strut, clamp it, then drill the holes..  With the eave strut and trim held together with clamps it was moved into place with a loose 8ft off the end.. 

Worked like a charm once figured out.. 

20200907_163007.jpg

20200907_163028.jpg

20200907_184404.jpg

Also today I posted up a help request on the NEB chat line.  

By Saturday I should be ready for help to get it finished up.   

I have been reluctant to put the floor in until I am done working inside.  It will have 3 or 4 gizuntas which will be put in and welded to rebar in the floor.. So wanted to wait since I am driving the lift in it. 

They sent those to you in 22' lengths?! The dirty dogs! I handled them by leaning them on the building and gently pulling them onto the roof and used my welding magnets to keep them from falling while I set the screws. Bend and kink with a breath. 

That's GOZ as in "goes" INTA as in "INTO". Gozinta. I didn't come up with the name nor the idea. 

I have trouble not thinking of . . . I don't know what, when I read gizunta. That's okay though, you can have as many gizuntas in your shop as you wish and I won't even kid you anymore. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, Ok, Ok,,,,,you guys got me!  I had never heard of a "gozinta", so instead of embarrassing myself by asking here on the forum, like we tell everyone else to "search", well.... I SEARCHED Google....and this is what I came up with: 

"What is a Gozinta?

The Gozinta Boxes are a topological magic trick invented by Lubor Fiedler in 1966 and first
introduced at the 1970 FISM convention in Amsterdam. In this trick, a die box is removed from a box.
The positions are subsequently reversed and the outer box is now placed inside the die, creating a
paradoxical situation.Oct 28, 2016"

Over and out....arkie

So sorted and drilled the pilot holes on the front dormer roof sheets..  Then had lunch and had to go to work.  

2+ hours later came back tightened up the trim with screws, Got the spacers in, the metal up on the roof, and got a few sheets moved.. 

I need to install the TR340  1X1" angle which I wasn't going to but now it seems like it would be a better way to go. 

Tomorrow the roof might be finished. :) Or at least the sheets partially screwed in. 

20200908_192416.jpg

So, last Monday I reached out to the NEB ask the group for help.. 

The response was fantastic with lots of support.. 

This morning at 9am  4 people showed up.. 

Sam P.,  Dick L,  Larry and Bryan L..  

Bryan jumped on the Manlift with his first experience with the beast.. He did extremely well and I loved watching him work it.  :)  We are both careful in the same way so it was great seeing him work the controls.  It is a brutal job.. He spent 6+ hours on it..  Brutal.. 

He also got the rotater basket function working..  LOL..  I would never keep the button ON long enough with fear of blowing a hose.. LOL..   It works and thanks to Bryan the lift is fully functioning now.. :) 

Sam P.  worked with my prepping panels, drilling holes and helping to verify I was not to crazy.. 

Larry L and Dick L ran main install of the panels and they worked their butts off everyone worked so well together..  It looked like they all worked together before. 

Everyone worked so hard to make it happen..  

All 3 walls up and it looks amazing.  

I am so appreciative of the help..  Was a breath of fresh air. 

Coffee, hot chocolate, bagels and donuts for morning snacks.. For lunch was 4 pizzas with chips and gluten free brownies with peanut butter frosting. 

I'll take some better photos tomorrow. 

20200912_132436.jpg

20200912_163223.jpg

As a side note:  I had every one else look at both the construction drawings and the assembly plans and everyone agreed that they are really, really crappy..  

So for I have had 10 people look at them and everyone feels the same.. "crap.. absolute crap"..  

So, it's just not me..  LOL..