I Forge Iron

Trenton anvil identification

Sorry about the poor quality pictures but i need a little help with the history of this anvil.  I have a friend who picked up a 75 lb trenton from this individual and the seller also had this larger trenton.  My friend thinks it is twice the size as the one he picked up so that would put it around 150 lbs.  What is intereating is it does not have a typical base but it has flanges that mount it to the stump.  Was this a modification or dis it come from the factory that way?  The seller is wanting four hundred bucks for it so I am just trying to do some research and make sure it is going to be a good deal and a good anvil to work with.  

Resized_20190705_121127_9509.jpeg

Resized_20190705_121123_3997.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'd have to use it to determine it's performance. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Fair enough, im just trying to do a little research before driving 2 hours to go look at it. 

Anvils don't come up for sale around here very often.  I have done some forging on a post anvil and that is about it.  I know it is probably leaps and bounds above what i have been using but i would rather put my money towards good tools (anvil) than make a bad purchase.

Thanks again.   

$400 seems high for half an anvil, granted it is the better half. :)

it looks usable. Can't tell what the condition of the base is, but the base size sepends on the heigth that You need it to be. 

where are you located? 

value of the anvil would be in its usability and this one is missing the sturdy base. It could be mounted more securely. It all depends on what other options are out there. Dont forget to read up on the ball bearing rebound test If you go check it out. 

4 hours ago, yotebuster1200 said:

around here

Where might that be? Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

I don't believe I could spend $400 U.S. for half an anvil. Now if they had the broken base that could be welded back on, that might be a different story. Not sure if Trenton used wrought iron for the base though.

Now I have the base of an anvil where the top broke off.  It was continued to be used as an anvil as shown by some nice mushrooming.  Of course Postman said my base was most likely from a Peter Wright.  (Note that soft anvils work a lot better when forging real wrought iron which is forged extremely hot and so very much softer!)

4 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Where might that be? Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

I don't believe I could spend $400 U.S. for half an anvil. Now if they had the broken base that could be welded back on, that might be a different story. Not sure if Trenton used wrought iron for the base though.

I fixed my profile.  Thanks for the reminder.