I Forge Iron

Using an existing chimney with a super sucker

Hello.

I've read a lot recently about the super sucker forge hood and I've got some plans, but I need to hear from you guys before I start messing around in our shop. But first, some context: I forge in a family owned foundry (building that focuses on casting is called that, right?) that my father works in from time to time. The picture illustrates one part of the building where the oven and chimney is located. The oven has a main opening with double doors and a smaller door (marked in blue) that's never used anymore. I drew the room in Paint.net since there's so much stuff laying around that's in the way...

So: when I want to forge, I move my abomination of a forge (the red rim forge) from some other part of the building into the oven to use the existing chimney. This makes every forgingday into, as you can guess, quite a hassle. It's very time consuming and annoying to get going, not to mension the amount of steps I have to take between the forge and the anvil during the actual forging. Why? I don't want it to get in the way for my father who uses the oven when he melts and casts various metals from time to time.

I'm actively looking for a "real" coal/coke forge since I'm tired of the one I have (it was the first I ever built and I've had it for 2+ years) and I've been doing some thinking: I can possibly move some stuff around and place a potential forge somewhere in the green area. This gives the forge easy access to the chimney from the blue window. BUT, here's the catch: the chimney obviously isn't just a 12 inch pipe/tube going directly from the "box". It's a chimney going into a bigger chimney. I don't have any measurements on me right now, but do you think something like in pic 2 will work? Does the tube have to go up further into the "real" chimney or is it enough just a bit into the oven? The doubledoors aren't 100% airtight.

I felt in the beginning that this was very much "workshop planning" but still posted it here since it's almost just about forgehoods/chimneys.

I also have some questions about the effectiveness of the supersuckers in general. It looks amazing in videos, but let's say I use coal: does it get overly dusty, smelly and dirty even though you use a fully functional supersucker? Do you still get black dust in your noses? I cannot use coal in my current "setup", only coke. Coal produces too much smoke and I inhale a lot of it when I reach for the forge.

I know it's a long post, sorry.

Sincerely,

Gustav

Forge placement and super sucker.pngSuper sucker in chimney.png

Not sure how much draft the smaller flu will have,  since the main flu draw will be only a portion of that of the larger chamber,  leaving very little to draw for the fire pots flu,  try it and see

Also would be better if the smaller flu connection was at the back of the access box rather than the top, eliminate that 90

Forgot about something that can help quite a lot: There is a little tunnel right outside the ovens double doors that goes under the doors and up into the bottom of the oven. This is where a large fan (probably around 30 cm / 1' in diameter) is used to blow oxygen into the coke inside the oven when melting metals. It could prove useful since it blows air (don't know exactly how much) right up and with both doors closed, it could push quite a lot of air right up the chimney.