picker77

Took a wild chance today on a 100# Kohlswa

Thanks, Moose. That’s a novel idea and good inventive thinking, especially the ratchet strap resizing trick. I’ll definitely make note of it for future use. However, it so happens I just yesterday picked up some 11 ga cold rolled sheet, having decided to more or less duplicate the rectangular 2-burner forge on Larry Zoeller’s website, but using tacked-up 11 ga sheet instead of square tubing, and using the pair of Frosty’s T-burners I just finished building. I want to use a version of the slick adjustable/removable front door arrangement Larry came up with, and I plan to also add one of those NC Tool cast iron swinging-door ports that Larry sells in the rear wall. The shell will be 9 x 9 x 16 with a kiln shelf floor and the two burners will have to feed only about 350 cu inch of interior volume, and so should be able to run plenty hot. In return for stealing Larry’s ideas I plan to buy most of my refractory supplies and a regulator from him

I spent today welding up a caster-equipped tripod for my “new” old Kohlswa anvil. It will be ready for paint sometime tomorrow, after I add hammer/tool racks. After that, the forge assembly project is on deck.

Picker 77,

I have seen a number of anvils with lots of chisel marks on the sides.  My guess is that previous owners backed up chisel work on the sides of the anvil rather than risk marring the face.  It seems to me easier to use a saddle plate or something similar on the top of the anvil so that you could strike down but if someone learned to do it sideways that worked best for them.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Chris, this guy down near Lawton had three anvils, I bought the Kohlswa 100#, but he still had two others, a Hay-Budden 100# and a 200# that looks like a H-B to me but I couldn’t see any markings. Both priced at $4.50/lb but between you me & the fence post he will take $4. I liked that 200# and it bounced a bb pretty good but the $900 price kinda killed that idea for me. If you are interested pm me for more info, be happy to point you to him.

Thanks George, was wondering about that. Your theory probably makes sense. Not a big deal but had my curiosity up.

The stand. Very simple construction, 3/8" plate on 2x2 legs @15 degree angle (might should have gone to 20 deg but I won't be using a striker lol) and steel-wheeled casters. Still thinking about tool/hammer rack setup. It's tall (39" to anvil face, same as my D2 round stock anvil), but that puts the anvil face right at my wrist bone.DSC01128.thumb.JPG.2687003fdf70934cdc47d6a4138c0a05.JPG

The casters are the real weak point in the design. A hand truck is an easy way to move it around and a good multi tasker for the shop. 

I build my stands with 1/4" x 2" angle iron flange in the wrapped around the anvil foot. I should've aligned the feet like you did to make it easier to move with a hand truck, the way I did it makes an unstable load on the hand truck but it's rock solid in use. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I expect to have to move it around often, would rather be able to grab & drag it around rather than mess with the cart each time. I cobbled up a Rube Goldberg "lifter/dragger" that latches onto the 3/8" plate, and makes it easy to lift the front leg off the concrete an inch or so and lead it around using the casters without messing with all those titanium screws in my 78 year old back. I'll try it this way for a while and if the casters prove out badly I'll replace them with a 2" piece of something and use one of the carts. Wouldn't even have tried this method with a heavier anvil. This little rig including the stand tops out at less than150 lb, or about half or less what many real blacksmith anvils weigh without a stand, ha.

DSC01129.JPG

Nice rube Goldberg, I like how you think. If I had casters on 2 feet of my stand I could slip a handle in the hardy hole to tip and roll it. A boy's gotta admire a nice bit of engineering though. Nice hammer and tong racks.

Well done all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks to you both for the nice comments. Dang, Frosty - I'm embarrassed I didn't think of using the hardy hole for a steering handle.  Sheesh. I overthink everything these days. :(