I Forge Iron

first welding class

Well I had my first welding class today. Did pretty good; my first welding class was on a special order!:D We also welded a chicken killing rig for chicken butchereing day. (today and tomorrow) We have killed 15 and we have 10 to go. What did that have to do with smithing????:confused:
Thoughts?

You will have to wait on the pictures! I'll try to get them up later.
My little brothers carry the bird upside down from the pen to the killing "cones," me or dad cuts the head off and drains the bird into a bucket, (up under the cone) I cut the wings/feet off and begin skinning, (we don't pluck, we skin the bird) dad finishes skinning, mom cleans the inside of the bird, the bird goes in cold water with apple cider vinegar, (kills anything on the bird, organically) finally my sister cleans the bird inside the house and packages it. We can do 10-12 an hour.:cool:

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

How about some pics of the chicken killin' rig? :confused:

Maybe you could take us through killin' a chicken? :o

Tips on pluckin' and butcherin' too perhaps? :D

Yep, Done all that back as a kid....The BEST part of this whole deal is when that naked little yard bird gits fried! or cooked up with dumplins, or Bar-B-Qued! ;) mmmm, smack, smack.

When I was a kid, my mom used to order 100 mixed chicks from a hatchery, early in the spring. She kept most of the pullets for 'layers', but the roosters.........we ate them

We would wind up with 50 or 60 chickens to kill and put in the freezer.
It was my job to do the killing. I used a hatchet over a stump or 'hack block' to separate the chicken from it's head. Holding it's feet with the other hand.

Funny thing is, a chicken can still get away from you........without it's head......if you're not careful. Of course, the novelty of that wears off after the first couple of chickens..........

Mom used to scald them, to loosen up the feathers, before plucking.
It stunk up the kitchen something awful.......It's been 40 years, but I can still remember that smell.........like it was yesterday.

No wonder we always waited a couple of days before we had fried chicken!

When I was very young, we went out to my Great Grandmothers farm. When we got there they were in the process of killing about 200 chickens. They had a large cast iron pot boiling over a fire and had a very efficient assembly (or disassembly)line going. Most memorable though was the smell of the :o boiling feathers. As far as I am concerned, if they are up and walking, they can stay that way. If they are in the freezer or on the plate, that is good too. I will keep working so that I can buy them ready to cook.
Dave, keep up the hard work.
Jerry

A friend of mine up in northen VA told me a few years ago about a time in the winter (they had snow) when they be-headed a bunch of chickens in their front yard (they lived back a-ways from the main road). They would put the chicken in a cut-off orange traffic cone with the head out of the top hole. worked pretty well until a few of them got away. He said it looked like the texas chain saw massacre, alaska style. :o

he said his wife about killed him when she saw the front yard.

I can remember our next door neighbor at my mothers house killin' chickens because of one that got away...without it's head. Mr Jim was chasing it all over the yard till it just laid down and he went over and picked it up.

I guess I was 4 or 5 years old at the time. :o

It didn't scar me for life. No...really...it didn't. :D

We don't scald so we don't worry about the smell.
Here are some pictures of the killin' rig. Dad welded it and I did the camera. I didn't get any pictures of my welds. I'll get them later!

Here is a picture of my boat that I posted a while back. I got the rigging done. (I forged the hardwear) I need some lights now.

7092.attach

7093.attach

7094.attach

7095.attach

We have had a couple of them fall out of a cone. Remember the phrase, "run around like a chicken with it's head cut off." That came from real life experiance. Funny thing is, without a head, they NEVER run into ANYTHING, and they ALWAYS run strait toward YOU. Sounds weird, but if you want to come help on butcherin day we'll show you!:D

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer