I Forge Iron

Looking for a good quality hand crank blower

My hand crank bellows just fell apart (handle snapped and the gears were loose) and I'm looking for a new one that will actually do it's job. I live in Ireland so I was hoping someone would know of any good brands or has one laying about.

I think I was using a Whitlox Hand Crank Blacksmith Forge Blower. Look at the amazon page for it and look at the reviews, here's a link. It's a piece of XXXX.

Edited by Mod30
remove commercial link per TOS

You have to have an old bicycle around somewhere. Turn the rear tire into a fan and put a shroud around it.  I have one that I want to try it out as just an experiment. To get more flywheel effect I am looking to fill the tire with concrete, or possibly pump water into the innertube.

Thought process is use some of the spokes to attach some sheet metal blades, maybe a plywood shroud, and weld up a mount to hold it in the right position for spinning the crank.  The one I have is a kids bike with a rear tire around 14". Figure with the bigger diameter over the vintage one (8") the slower rotational speed will be OK. 

6 hours ago, Mithridates said:

I live in Ireland

Welcome to IFI, we won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. Have you read this yet?  READ THIS FIRST

It will help you get the best out of the forum and stay in good graces with the moderators

Okay, so other than making a blower...is there experience with quality purchased blowers?  I know that except for old blowers, it seems that the only thing valuable to purchase is from India or somewhere...am I wrong?  I am thrifty, but I appreciate quality=value.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Turn the rear tire into a fan

Much easier way would be to turn the tire into a large pulley, still with the bike gearing, and get a blower with a shot motor. Use bike wheel as jack pulley and drive the impeller.

15 hours ago, Latticino said:

Much easier way would be to turn the tire into a large pulley, still with the bike gearing, and get a blower with a shot motor. Use bike wheel as jack pulley and drive the impeller.

Great idea.