I Forge Iron

Broad Ax Repair?

A friend gave me this old damaged Ax.  I would like to restore it.  Thinking I need to cut out the damaged inlay section and forge weld in a new piece...probably 1070 steel.  Any suggestions before I embark?  Is repair of this going to be folly?

IMG_20190630_194535758.jpg

IMG_20190630_194558072.jpg

IMG_20190630_194609117.jpg

IMG_20190630_194624165.jpg

As far as I know, replacing the high carbon steel bit in a forged axe was a common repair for the local smith back in the days before mass production.  This axe is certainly a candidate, but if you plan on doing the repair I would remove all the existing HC steel down to the mild or wrought axe blank.  Clean thoroughly and forge weld on a replacement.  Hopefully you are a proficient forge welder, as that will be a rather large weld in an area that will undergo quite a bit of stress.  Then a full heat treatment will be in order. 

Looks like there might be some damage to the eye as well.  Are you planning on working on that also? 

Thank you for the prompt response Latticino.  I don't think I am up to replacing the entire 12 inch section with a forge weld.  I don't think I can get proper heat full length.  Might be best to set this project aside until I get more experience.