I Forge Iron

Insulation Thickness?

Planning to use ceramic fibre wool (biodegradable, withstands up to 1200C) and dense commercial castable (1600C) to hold temperatures up to 1500C.

How thick should I make each layer? Would a 20-gal drum with 11-inch diameter be too small to hold these kinds of temperatures, assuming I want a decent crucible of at least 1 litre capacity? I was thinking I could engineer a design that allows the crucible to peak over the top when the lid opens, so less space is required around either side of the crucible when picking it up.

Cast iron, possibly stainless steel (although I would do neither as of this moment with so little experience, and plan to work my way up to them eventually).

A reasonable size, about a litre. Any more cast iron and I would make a cupola.

Would creating custom, long, thin crucibles help? (From the leftover dense refractory). These would better occupy the elongated shape of the 20-gal barrel.

If this is too little space, could anyone recommend any better containers to use, and where to get them? I've heard of beer kegs, 50-gals, vacuum cleaner basins, etc.