I Forge Iron

First forged knife with auto-hamon, criticism welcome

J.P. Hall

This is the first *forged* knife I've actually completed. I think it would be classified as a gyuto. 6" double bevel in 1084, brass, and maple. It took much longer than anticipated, mostly because I found an auto-hamon while finish grinding. I went back to the grinder a couple times to thin it out some more, and I experimented with a bunch of different abrasives, which I documented in another thread. Being 1084, the hamon itself is pretty plain but there's some interesting alloy banding (I think) that started to show.

Not perfect and there are some blemishes that happened after finishing, but I'm satisfied with it how it cuts and it taught me a lot about grinding, finishing, and geometry.

Somebody more artistically inclined than myself took some photos:

UV5oO0EQT1iXEgazt6wOvw_thumb_d71.jpg

6SyE7UxSSQOsJU8v24wTZw_thumb_d79.jpg

RfxdhQEHSmWGObHngZKQaQ_thumb_d83.jpg

k%qSrL7pRfyqheJEQGhYEw_thumb_d63.jpg

YqVcDnEbSuekHAtV%tfxqw_thumb_d47.jpg

c8jiIZO.jpg

It’s beautiful and it’s exactly the type of knife I would like to be able to create one day.  I’ll call it an inspiration piece!  I’d say the only problem with it is that I can’t see your maker’s mark anywhere.  It deserves one.