I Forge Iron

Making A Horseshoe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the video again without the music. Look for the other things the video teaches, like wearing your safety glasses ON TOP of his head to protect his hair and not his eyes, the loose hammer handle, the anvil being 1-1/2 steps from the forge, etc.

I know nothing about making horseshoes from scratch, I just forge them into other things. I like the camera angle because you can clearly see what your doing. A lot of videos it seems ýou can't really tell what the tong hand is doing and I think that is equally important as the what the hammer hand is doing

I did notice the hammer being loose. I had one that started doing that and it's out of commission until I fix it. 

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

I make small 2.5 inch size to give away to kids at demos

When are you going to post a video to show us how to make the small shoes?  I'd love to see it so I can give it a try at demos....

How many farriers here take more than 8 minutes to forge a basic shoe? I must not have been watching the right part of the screen I never got a look at him above the shoulders. He bumped the hammer head tight.:huh: Yeah, okay shoot me too, I have a couple hammers I need to bump now and then myself. I keep saying I need to make new handles but . . . Ooh shiny! What was I talking about? 

Mute took care of the bad music and I suppose I could've skipped the parts that were sped up to silly speed. 

Nice anvil and his forge looked good. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:56 PM, arkie said:

When are you going to post a video to show us how to make the small shoes?  I'd love to see it so I can give it a try at demos....

Me a video?  probable never. I dont do video camera stuff,    if some one wants to film me that is fine. but I can walk ya through it:

1  Make rectangle bar 3/8 inch thick, about 1/2 inch wide and about  10 inch or so long. 

2  Add a groove on one side leaving the last inch on each end untouched. using the cutting shelf of the anvil. Make it about half way through the bar,  dont go all the way through.

3  Make the curve edgewise using the horn.

4  Punch 3 or 4 holes in the groove, clean up the exits using the pritchel.

5  Install the clips to face away form groove using the virgin ends by bending the ends over the heal of the anvil.

After quench, make sure its cold.  Its not advisable to hot shoe a child.  To prevent them getting a hot spot grab all over with your hands before giving to child.    Its fun for the kids to watch, very fast, and cheap material usage. PLUS it keeps the parent around to think about a purchase rather than walking off to another vendor.

9 hours ago, Andrew Cramer said:

Does the music really sounds bad?

Music obscures a great deal of useful information you can only learn from the sound of the work. Propane forges are also loud and annoying distractions. 

Video doesn't present bright colors accurately so the only way you can reliably tell the temperature of the work is by the sound of the hammer blows. The sound is important information at your own anvil, you can't always control light levels and color changes dawn to dusk. You can however hear it, with experience you can even tell carbon content and high from low alloy in a broad sense. The other sensor you have at your disposal at the anvil is feel. How the work feels in your holding hand tells you a LOT about what's going on in the work.

Sound and feel are very important while you're planishing the work, with practice you can feel most metals begin to work harden and when they're about to fail. 

I can tell a lot about a smith by the sound of his/er work habits at the anvil.

So, NO I don't want no stinking music.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Its not advisable to hot shoe a child

No truer words have ever been spoken... thank you for the run down on making those shoes Steve.

I agree with Frosty and Thomas although I didn't know how to state it as well as they did. You said it's on you tube and so it needs some music. That depends on if it's entertainment or meant to be instructional. If meant purely for entertainment the music is probably good. If not, music bad. At least for those of us who are viewing to learn. Thomas put it better though

Well; I've offered to hot shoe a heckler or two at demos.  I tell them it will be the last set of shoes they'll ever need as they "wear like iron!" If they ask if it will hurt I say "Oh no, I'll wear hearing protectors!" (Or have my apprentice stick his fingers in my ears as I do it...)