I Forge Iron

Show me your Goats

CrazyGoatLady

Haha, ain't that the truth. 

Here's another goat he has that has interesting horns. He runs a very mixed herd, so I'm not sure what she is. Her horns remind me of Gazelle horns. Sorry if the pictures are coming out really big. My internet signal is bad tonight and it's making things a little wonky 

20190810_222423.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked up polycerate. And I looked through images also. There's such a vast array of unusually horned critters. I bet the skulls of these guys are sought after. I'd add one to my collection. I have a ram skull with the typically curled horns. Along with a goat ( not one of mine) a rabbit, a Guinea fowl, horse, cow, and a nutria. That guy has got a big set of teeth on him

Have you ever seen a Watussi? Now there's a set of horns for you. There's a couple down the road from us. I drove by one day, and one was leaning his right horn across the top of the fence. They look heavy, but I think they are hollow-ish. And I wouldn't know about the Nutria. Tommie bought one from a guy who trapped them in Arkansas. I was reluctant to try that one, so it got lost in the deep freeze. Freezer burn. But I did get the skull 

A couple of things to add. There is a lady in the Wichita area that has been dubbed "the Crazy Goat Lady". She has a small herd she leases out for weed and brush removal. It is obvious from the news clip that she has a blast with the goats.

The other is that in the mid '80s I was working on the side for a dairy supply company. I had the opportunity to work at a goat dairy. We were setting up a new milking parlor. As I remember it was one that rotates. I never got to see it in operation. 

It was quite the education.

How about the Bat-tusi...

Layne, I've seen a few other places that offer mowing and brush removal called some variation of the goat lady name. I saw a farm on TV once that has a food truck they operate called The Bearded Lady with the logo of a doe on it. Wish I would have thought about it first and that could have been my shop name! Although people might think I have a beard. Which I don't. Honest. 

I Yahoofued the Bat-tusi and and watched it! :wacko: Oh THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH! <_<

The worst part was I watched it first run! Thought it was a new low in an already low art form then. 

You realize I'm going to have to get even for this one you know. Live knowing I'll be browsing, Crazy Goat Lady. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 weeks later...

The babies ( kids) that I originally posted are three months old. Turning into nice looking boys. I'll try to get some new pictures soon. We are going to breed all three of my does probably around the end of October. By spring, we should have several kids " spronking" around as Frosty says. I can't hardly wait:)

• 9 months later...

My generation is more likely to say, "Grass  . . . does a brain and appetite good."

I know it's a trick of the light but sunny spots look almost like bare dirt and dead twigs. 

Not that I'd be surprised having owned goats at one time, there's no telling what they'l decide is extra yummy at any given time. That and if they know why you're taking a pic they'll do something else or stand in the way. You know, normal goatiness.

Nice looking condition Chellie, give the happy browsers a scratch for me, please.

Frosty The Lucky.

There's not a lot of grass in that particular area. They were scrounging through some leftover hen scratch and leaves from the tree there. They are very opportunistic eaters for sure. The two black headed girls in the picture get particularly hefty when the grass is plentiful. The red headed one had gotten pretty dragged down from her kids but she has filled back out nicely. 

Heh, heh, heh. I had to shut the girls up in the buck pasture and make the boys stay in the barn for a few days to give ANY of the oat seed I spread a chance to sprout. Pick oats from between sweet grass rather than eat grass? Oh YES, we're on it! It was fascinating to watch them eat here seed was on loose soil. They'd pick up a lipfull of soil and roll it around in their lips letting soil sift out. After a while they'd eat what seed they'd picked up. Little seed sorting machines. 

We had one particularly annoying neighbor, I'd collected dandelion seed and spread them in the pasture maybe 2 years before they moved in. When we wouldn't defoliate the PASTURES to protect her lawn from evil, demon spawn, dandelions, she filed a written complaint with some agency about us cultivating invasive species. We got a visit by a college prof and a few Ag students to inspect the "infraction." The prof asked ONE question, "You feed local hay?" . . . "Yes, we aren't going to ship it in if we can help it." . . . "No, of course not. Watch out for Foxtails, in the hay."  We chatted briefly while his students loved on the pygmies and Deb showed off the setup. Turned out  we weren't the first she'd filed written complaints against. Of course I didn't tell the fellow I'd moved the ohh so yummy goat food flowers in from the roadside, I might have been frowned at. 

I still miss the pygmies. Good times.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 7 months later...

This is Molly. She will be 7 years old the end of this month. The chickens love to perch up on her back. That's Ciello the rooster. He's the most chill rooster I have ever seen. I have a new addition to the farm, but I don't have a good picture of him yet. 3 1/2 month old gorgeous little buck. Hopefully he'll make us more little bucks and does in the future. First time I've kept an intact buck in 3 or 4 years. 

20210213_173954.jpg

Ok here he is. I hope y'all can see the pics. It says they loaded, but I started having a hard time figuring out getting pics to size right

20210213_175350.jpg