I Forge Iron

Show me your Goats

CrazyGoatLady

I had no idea that's why they are called nannies. Learn something new every day. I drank bad milk once and I didn't drink it again for probably several months after that. I just got home not long ago and haven't eaten supper yet. I didn't want to cook just for me, so a bowl of cereal it is. I didn't realize it, but I smell the milk too. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/27/2019 at 6:39 PM, SLAG said:

Frosty  San,

I am not sure how goats respond to trace minerals.  (never knew any, to ask).

But in humans, it is suggested that people, who take supplemental zinc,  (zinc gluconate),  get a little extra copper. The required amount of copper is not usually very much* and multivitamins with minerals tablets is usually enough.

Is it the same with goats?

Just sayyin',

SLAG.

* trace amounts.

Yes, minerals especially metals interact so you have to keep them balanced and watch for reactions. Once you know what to watch for it's not hard though occasionally we'd run a ph test strip. The goats were pretty good at regulating their own mineral intake if they deeded some they'd nibble at the mineral feeders. It worked best if we trusted them to know what they needed and keep it available.

Oh, I knew what the bucks tasted like, they were really affectionate little stinkers. You never knew when you'd be doing something on the ground and one would come up and rub their head on you. Boy, nothing like a mouth full of buck beard to ingrain the flavor in permanent memory. Most folk don't know why bucks smell the way they do or nobody would associate with us.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't even have an intact buck, but I still get a whiff of buck stink occasionally. My wether still tries to be Randy with  the ladies sometimes. Do yall think he still has something going on or just my imagination? He's never sired any babies

Wethers are still boys, testicles aren't the only source of testosterone so they can get delusions, firing blanks though. However being delusional the boys still want to smell attractive for the does. They aren't AS rank, the lower testosterone levels takes the potency out of more than one thing you know. So instead of eye watering cologne they're just a little wiff.

Blue is the boy affectionately nuzzling Libby, Sterling is on the right. Blue has an awesome beard don't you think? Sterling is rubbing on Libby too and she was always this unhappy about this kind of affection. Goat lady and Charles can probably tell they're not in the rut in this picture but they still smell very bucky. The look of adoration on blue's face is normal, goats and sheep adore their LGDs and trust them unhesitatingly. 

The truly amazing thing this pic reminds me of is Libby. She smelled GOOD, not good for a dog she actually had a pleasant odor. The bucks were a lot more affectionate when in the rut and they rubbed on Libby almost nonstop and she never smelled anything but good.  Petting her vigorously after handling the bucks went a long way towards taking the buckyness off. 

I wish I could've bottled Libby's secret I'd be rich selling it to goat people. 

Frosty The Lucky.

HAPPYLib_bucks3.JPG.cee290d1491351bbee79264c35df4b9f.JPG

CGL.,

The adrenal glands can produce some testosterone, and other hormones,  (dihydrotestosterone, among them). In some individual castrated human males there is enough hormone to get an erection.

I suspect that your neutered goat had a fair amount of that hormone in his system to smell like an intact buck.

Of course your wether goat could not sire young. Because there were no sperm generating cells left.

Just stirring the pot, a little.

SLAG.

Modified testosterone, is the source of estrogens, progesterones and other predominantly female hormones.

It's not the hormone that makes them smell bucky. Well, not directly I suppose but it's effects on their behavior makes other things more . . . rich? 

I'm going to let someone else spill the beans. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm trying to keep this G- rated. :rolleyes: But we are talking about animals. He would always mess with the girls a little. My FIL said, "Just because the means have been removed, doesn't mean the will isn't still there!". But he didn't start really chasing after them until I sold the buck. He acted like I had never seen him before. He doesn't do the tongue flapping thing, which I think is hilarious. I didn't notice the faint smell until recently. I suppose with a full buck, I wouldn't have been able to. And yes Frosty, Blue has a beautiful beard.  I was trying to find a pic of my boys beard. It was getting very nice. He was still young. I'll track one down later today. My dogs smell like dirty socks... wish they smelled good. You'd be a rich man selling your dogs formula for goat un- stinkyness. I'd be first in line:) This is the buck, Wyatt Earp. The second pic is one of the new boys. They are two weeks and 3 days old. 

20190630_112710.jpg

20190630_104958.jpg

Nope, wethers don't act bucky if there's a buck. Buckberries or bucky raspberries, what we called the tongue flapping mating call were darn entertaining but the girls in season were LOUD! Visitors often looked ready to run find the child in danger. Sometimes the boys and girls would sing to each other for days or longer, one girl goes into season and the others follow soon. 

Great pic, kids are so adorable. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh man! Yeah he'd chase the girls all over the place. They would holler day and night for days on end. Enough to drive ýou to drinking. In the summer time, they'd look like they were going to have heart failure they'd pant so hard. Buckberries...I like that.:D

Here's another couple of pics. "King of the mountain" was in full swing today

20190630_181545.jpg

20190630_221039.jpg

I like goats; unfortunately there are none in this island, the locals ate all the ones the Navy brought in long ago. The next island over is a separate country, and due to USDA regs we can't import from there. Hopefully after some things get settled i can get a few; I have lots of weeds for them to eat.

Not just the American Navy, goats were seeded all over the world as survival food for shipwrecked sailors or that's the story I've heard. Can't blame folks for eating food that feeds itself, less damaging than rabbits. Hard to believe 100 lb.+  critters that'll eat nearly any living plant, climb anything including trees and get into everything could be less destructive than fluffy little bunnies. 

Have you checked with the consulate about importing goats? I'm sure there are babies that need milk not to mention weed control. However if you want to mow grass you want some of those dumber than a sack of rocks sheep.

Frosty The Lucky.

I hope you can get to have some one day, Steve. You'll love them. Frosty is right. Goats love weeds, brush and leaves. My goats favorite are leaves. We have turned goats into grazers, but they are actually browsers. Maybe the powers that be will open up to the idea. They are gaining in popularity in large numbers as people discover the benefits from smaller stock that are easy to feed, and provide so much. Meat, milk, yogurt, and soap. And they are very affectionate. They love you back^_^

Prion   Disease is the problem, no importation of live ruminants into the US or its territories. Sperm, eggs and embroes is ok. So they have to be imported from the mainland or possibly Hawaii. If you import from the mainland do so from a northern state and worm them well during quarantine. You don’t want to bring the barberpole worm with them.

Goats will trim trees as high as they can reach and eat most other brush down to the nubs, sheep generaly start eating were the goats stop. Thi sheep are more susceptible to barberpole worms than goats.

• 1 month later...

A Jacob Sheep, 4 horns eh? :blink: Sort of the clown car of ruminants? 

Beautiful critter, I've never seen one. Maybe I'll surprise Deb with a couple next time she goes RVing to a dog event and leaves me home alone. Can you spin the wool, taste good, lambs worth a LOT? 

Frosty The Lucky.

We looked them up. They originate from Britain I think it was and they don't know how they came to have four horns. I figure it was a gene mutation and they bred that feature into them. But that's just a guess. This buck is a little taller than a medium sized dog. He asked his uncle what they are good for. He said, "He**, I don't know. They're just purty to look at I guess!." :rolleyes: He has a hobby farm with tons of different critters.

Excuse me. Ram not buck! Im thinking goats 

It’s a Northern European sheep thing. The sheep the Norse took to Iceland evolved to the Icelandic sheep. They have 4 horns and a fine and corse wool coat that is relitivly easy to separate buy hand. Odly, as their were no herding dogs, a small persentage have a strong herding drive ad a goat like personality. An interesting triple use sheep.