I Forge Iron

Show me your Goats

CrazyGoatLady

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't this move over to "Everything Else"? [Mod note: done.]

When I was having a lot of lactose issues my wife made a special cheesecake for me out of goat cheese.  Rather strongly flavoured and very rich and delicious, really good as our human kids wouldn't touch it after their first bite...

That'd work Pnut but we kept and labeled the towels we helped dry newborns with in case the doe rejected a kid. Usually they reject a kid because it has issues, sometimes the doe has issues. 

Deb bred carefully so we didn't have winter kids and hopefully all the does dropped kids about the same time and we had the barn laced with radio baby monitors so we knew when a doe went into labor. That gave us the option of putting a rejected kid on another doe. Often a doe in milk would adopt a kid without encouragement and there were usually 2-3 in milk. We'd help by rubbing a rejected kid in a towel used on one of the foster doe's kids.

I've heard of using one doe kid's hide as a blanket to get a rejected kid adopted. 

I should get Deb involved in the thread. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'd love to hear from your Mrs. on this subject. I don't mean to talk so much about animals on a blacksmithing site, but I know more about them than I do smithing and they are a great passion for me. I mostly study here and keep the comments down until I have more to contribute to the vast library of knowledge.

We also try to avoid kids being born in winter. I shoot for spring to early summer. I used to keep an intact buck on site, but now just does and a wether who was my first goat. My father- in- law runs a much bigger herd and we get stud services from him when it's time to breed. Plus the herd is a lot calmer without a buck in the mix. Sounds crazy, but I kinda miss the pungent "cologne" of a big ole ' buck;)

Birch, birch, birch, :rolleyes: If, when we meet up Steve I'm bringing a birch switch for that one. 

Glad you moved the thread, goats deserve a place of their own on every forum, glad to see IFI is setting trends again.

I lost track on my last post, we had the baby monitors so we could be there when they gave birth. Saved a lot of kids that way.

While I loved the bucks I just can't bring myself to get all cuddly with an animal that pees on himself and. . . no I'm not saying what else. Sure I get it, the girls think they smell like heaven but I'm not a girl goat. No, I don't care how many folk think I'm an old one, the cologne just :unsure:. . . nevermind.

Frosty The Lucky.

Had they known everybody I came in contact with would've thanked me. A LITTLE buck scent goes a long way and time. The lanolin in their coats soaks it right into your hide. I found GoJo and lemon helped. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I always just scrubbed the visible and very sticky stuff off my hands with hot water first, then a good scrubbing with dawn detergent. I think it worked. But I was probably nose blind to it. I may have still smelled bucky :blink:. I had a buck who was real lovable (he's my avatar picture) and he would walk up and rub away on me. Hard to get it out off your clothes also

Did you ever poll your friends or better yet folk you just met? Nobody where I worked had a problem telling me when I showed up smelling bucky. Our bucks were really affectionate too, I had barn coveralls and wore rubber gloves when I handled them. A 1/4 cup of Fabreeze in the fabric softener dispenser thingy in the washing machine REALLY helped the clothes. 

I gotta tell you the boys sure put the lie to the Deodorant myth! Heck they made the deodorant stick stinky!  

Frosty The Lucky.

There's regular goatyness, everybody got used to that and the does don't smell unpleasant so long as a buck hasn't touched them. Then there's the ambiance of Buck, that'll get the attention of the whole movie theater.

A character I had to work with, that was a common feeling, wasn't the sharpest cookie on the tree and would get loud and obnoxious about goat smell whether there was any or not. He even got talked to about it by the foremen but he just wouldn't quit. 

Sooooooo, I donned my playtex gloves and stroked the boy's beards till the rag was sticky,  put it in a zip lock baggy and took it to work with me. "ACCIDENTALLY" brushed against him after dispatch and we were headed for our rigs. Hid the baggie and repeated it the rest of the week.  More than one of the guys gave me the nod but kept quiet. 

Nope, our brain trust boy didn't stop trying to give me a hard time about smelling like a goat. 

I WISH he were the only idiot on the crew but you can't fire a gvt. employee without extreme reasons so they tend to gather like stuff in a P trap. 

Frosty The Lucky.

49 minutes ago, Frosty said:

A character I had to work with, that was a common feeling, wasn't the sharpest cookie on the tree and would get loud and obnoxious about goat smell whether there was any or not. He even got talked to about it by the foremen but he just wouldn't quit. 

Herr,  Frost,

Posted the above prose.

SLAG Thought that most of the cookies were hidden on his hard drive.

I guess that I am not the only lucky one.

SLAG.

How fiendishly wicked you are Frosty! I wish I had thought of something like that for a couple people who shall remain nameless...except my ex daughter- in - law. Or my ex-husband for that matter.....

Sharp cookies are probably hard on the teeth

Nice pictures. On the farm across the river, they had lots of goats and they loved to eat the seaweed at low tide. Unfortunately a pack of cross dingo, killed all the female. No, no gender bias, most likely a matter of size. Now they have something like 5 massive Pyrenean mountain dogs that can shred any dingo to pieces. 

I imagine Dingos can pretty ferocious. They are on the large size aren't they? I remember a movie once about missing kids and they thought the parents did something to them. Turned out they were eaten by Dingos. A dog got hold of one of my goats. Bit him on the the upper part of his front leg. Most damage was one puncture wound, which can be real bad. I washed it out every so often with peroxide and kept it wrapped. Treated him with penicillin and tetanus. Thankfully he was much larger than the dog so he fared well. Had a limp for awhile

Pure dingo are not big dogs, but they cross breed with dogs and get larger. 

Yes we had a famous case of missing baby, and the parent got jailed and trailed by media by a string of self appointed experts. They were later released but the damage was done. I think their biggest problem was to be preachers in a 7DA church. A decade later a couple of hunters confessed to finding the body mauled by dingoes and hiding it because they were afraid to be blamed. 

We do get packs of wild dogs mixed with dingoes from time to time but they seem to stick to the other side of the river fortunately. Now with the Pyrenean dogs they will stay away. 

Yeah, that's the movie I was thinking of. I don't remember it very well. Glad to know the actual story because I was thinking it was based on real life events. We mostly have coyotes around here. I keep a leery eye on them, but have never had any problem with them