I Forge Iron

Looking to make a cheap forge

Welcome to IFI...

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show your location. You may be surprised how many members are near you if they knew where you are.  I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

As far as a cheap and easy forge to build and learn on with a variety of solid fuels, the JABOD side draft is hard to beat. There are several sticky threads about them which should answer your questions.

As IF&C said, everything you need to know is in the just a box of dirt a simple side blast forge threads. Read all the jabod threads and you should have everything you need to know to build a forge out of what you have on hand.      If you skip to page 8 there is a list of the pertinent information about three posts down.         A hair dryer will work but Don't connect it to the tuyere. Aim it at the tuyere. More directly for more air less so for less air. 

Pnut

Scientist, I got started with blacksmithing as a result of my son building a bucket forge very cheaply on his own. While it worked (kind of), it was very difficult to manage the fire, and it burned through fuel very quickly. (It was enough to get him going and to pull me into the addiction...) I would not recommend using this setup at all. Go with a JABOD concept and modify it to your resources and needs.

I’m now using an old machine controls cabinet laying door up on a stand, filled with cat litter. The forge is outside, so when we’re done, let it cool, clean out the clinkers, close the door and the weather is kept out of it. It’s miles ahead of the bucket forge concept.

See if you can hookup with a blacksmith organization near you. Time with other smiths will make a big difference with the learning curve on everything.

Enjoy!

Weird what can be reused as parts of a forge. My travelling solid fuel forge uses a WWII jig borer front door as the floor and a '30's? Banjo rear end axle cover as the firepot.  Been using that firepot for about 25 years now and I have the other one as backup! (They were made into a pair of jack stands decades ago and I picked them up for US$3 back in the 1980's at a fleamarket.)