I Forge Iron

My post-vise restoration and mounting.

mcb

Have not posted much lately but I have still be forging and working away.  I got a deal on a well rusted post vice a few months ago and though I would share a few pictures of it and my restoration and mounting.  Nothing fancy but it works for my small roll out to work shop.  I payed $30 for the vice and have maybe another $30 in the wood and metal for the mounting arrangement.

53623363_2105921192819978_46619631675873

This is what I go for my $30,  Missing the spring and all the parts for a mounting flange.  Lots of surface rust and modest pitting but the screw was still in great shape and the jaws in pretty good shape.

53435163_2112127485532682_46752016526580

After some serious time with a wire wheel on the right angle grinder here is what I had.  Still needed to get a spring and some type of mounting flange.

60609717_2208074655937964_74268750447242

I forge the spring from a piece of leaf spring.  Much to my own surprise I manage to quench and temper it back to a usable spring hardness after forging both end to shape.  Rather than create a "proper" mounting flange I settle on a U-bolt arrangement.  This is the U-bolt after a bit of modification to make it narrower.  the mount itself would be welded up from angle iron.

62077920_2253068694771893_31752704815739

The finished post vise on its new mount.  All the metal got a coat of semi-gloss Rustolium.  The mounting bracket is just three pieces of 2x1/8 angle iron welded together and screwed to the top of the post.  The flange where the U-bolt pierces the angle iron was reinforced with a half inch plate.  The post is four section of 4x4 lagged together with the flaired feet for stability and to mount the wheels.  There is a 3/4 MDF space in between the vice and post at the moment but I will probably find a more suitable spacer here shortly.  The wheels only contact the ground when tipped back.  This works well for my setup as this new vice, my anvil and forge all have to move out into the driveway to work and then get put away out of the elements when not in use.  Love to hear an comments or questions.

Greetings MCB,

Make a stand on base for your vise . You will still be able to move it on the wheels . I have a few mounted this way and been using them for years. Much more stable using your weight otherwise it will tip over when using your vise for twisting longer stock. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

67D03BBE-124E-4B92-9FFA-768CCD2D5D04.jpeg