I Forge Iron

Bellows diagram

WillS

Hey folks.  I've been looking around everywhere (including the files and threads on this site) and can't find what I'm after, so I'm hoping somebody can help.

I'm trying to find some blueprints, diagrams or really any info on building a set of piston double-acting (not double-lung) forge bellows - the Alldays & Onions type for example.  They're round, drum-shaped bellows and they work differently to the pear-shaped double-lung bellows.  The air is forced through the opening on both the up AND the down stroke of the handle. 

What I need to know are things like valve and opening locations, as well as constructing the framework itself.

If anybody can help out, that would be great!

Depending on how far you want to chase the internet information, there are many parts from many places that can be used. For instance elk, deer, and kangaroo hided have been recommended as good for the leathers on bellows. Just because the information does not fall into your lap just means you have not been digging deep enough. For a square bellows, look into a camera bellows or bellows for camera extension tubes.  For round bellows look into a concertina bellows. May need scaled up for your purposes but it is the concept that matters.

The following are bits and pieces that may help.

Tear drop style Plans to build a Bellows

If the leather is brittle and/or stiff you can try a home brew leather treatment which works a treat.

Size of bellows chambers

BP0141 Building a Bellows

Round Bellows

You may want to look at the oriental box bellows that also blow on both strokes and are generally easier (and cheaper) to construct and take up less space.

As the double lung bellows blows continuously, what is the virtue of an interrupted blast bellows?  (And Yes I have used single action bellows, twinned single action bellows with alternating pumping---medieval and earlier style, double lunged "great bellows" renaissance to now; and of course the aforementioned box bellows.)

If you can't find extant plans just build double barrel bellows that work like you wish. They're a piston pump and the valving is as simple as it gets, just tack a fabric or leather flap over the right side of the vent hole.

Experiment with cardboard boxes and pillow cases, use duct tape for the flap valves. When you get something you like make it from wood and canvas or leather. A good source of supple leather for not a lot is Salvation Army or other second hand store, coat racks. Leather coats, skirts, etc can be had for pennies on the dollar.

Frosty The Lucky.

Cheers guys.  I think maybe I didn't explain myself properly.  I've made lots of bellows, and use pear-shaped double lung bellows that I made myself for most of my forging. 

What I'm trying to find is not "how to make bellows" but how specifically the Alldays & Onions ones are made.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, Steve Sells said:

If you got that, then why are you still confused?

I'm not confused.  I was recommended to look for a patent, I did and (as I said) "still no luck" because it's not available. 

There's no confusion, I've just not found the answer to my original question. 

Sorry I cant help. Ive never seen a bellows like that. Hope you find a solution and reply here. You got me curious. Ill take a look and see what I find.,

Im back. Pretty cool outfit. I may have a lead for you. I found a youtube vid on this bellows. It didnt show mutch, but it was from Matchless antiques. He sells top end blacksmith equipment. He may have the info you are looking for. You will find him via google.

Okay, I went back and reread your original question. If the prints aren't out there then they aren't, I  know some of us seem mighty old but we're not that old.

This is pretty simple valving problem if you just want working bellows. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Look at "bellows 2 (1).bmp" from Wayne. 

John B and Ruben provided an excellent description of how they work.

I just happened to come across this type of bellows a couple months ago and I dug into it a little. I have been scheming how to make a chimera of the alldays and onions round bellows and a box bellows out of a 55 gallon drum. I haven't convinced myself that it would be worth the time/money, but I will probably try it anyways. The internals wouldn't be as complicated as it may seem. 

Chris, you are an absolute hero.  Those threads and the image in particular are exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!

Funnily enough, I've just bought a set of original Alldays bellows as I found some online for £20!  The bellows themselves are no use and needed ripping apart, but the frame is intact and ready for a new set.  I'll use the stuff you've provided to build the replacement set.