I Forge Iron

Funky hammers

Whiskytrekker

Hi everyone.   Been lurking for years.  I found a couple odd hammers yesterday and was wondering what people thought of them.

The long pein I think is for working sheet metal?

And I have no clue what the collar on the mushroomed face on the smaller hammer is for.  It is marked as a proto.

Ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_20190614_155629_276.jpg

IMG_20190614_163115.jpg

The lower one is what we call a tire changers hammer, the rubber face used to break the bead of the tire. I forged one into a nifty straight peen.

BTW If you will edit your profile to show your location, we won't have to dunn ya for it when the answer requires knowing where in the world you hang your hat.

100_1920.thumb.JPG.6a01b36281ffcc06c8b457286d0915f5.JPG

• 1 month later...

IDF&C that's a nice looking straight peen mod. I like those tire/ straight peens. I've seen a few and I've had my eye out for one. I don't have a press or power hammer so I don't think I want to try making one myself but If I find one I'm going to get it. I'll eventually come across a shop with the equipment to do it. As a matter of fact I bought some hammers and top tools from a member here who made them on his press. Hmmmm 

Pnut

Edited by pnut
corrected salutation