I Forge Iron

First knife I've ever built. It's from 52100 old bearing. 90% finished

Bustapepper

Started by heating the outer bearing race in the forge. Then I turned off the forge and blocked the opening and let cool for the night to anneal, . Then I started pounding with my 3 pound cross peen. Into a shape. I tried drilling 3 holes but the drill bit only made one hole. So I heated up the tang and punched the other 2 holes and then smoothed out with the drill slowly. I know how to sharpen drill bits so that helped alot. The knife is beastly as the spine is like  0.300 thick. With a minor taper going into a clip point on the edge. I hear treated to a bright red quenched in oil then sanded to see the bare steel and tempered with 2 one hour cycles at 410 degrees. Length of blade is roughly 8.5 inches. Overall length is 13.5 inches. And she's heavy. It's about 90% forged and grinder for about 10% the handle was ground and filed to look like this but was forged into shape. Just started seeing it in my head and that's what appeared to me 

All I have is an angle grinder so it's far from flat on the knife faces but overall it was super fun to just forge something to look like this. Now I have to flaten the handle to attach a handle. I was thinking a simple oak with boiled linseed oil.  I made it so you can chop wood with it. And also chop bones too definitely not a delicate slicer. I don't know what I'm doing. Just researching stuff and doing trial and error stuff. Also I hand sanded to 2000 grit but didn't like the shiny finish that would get all scratched up so I took it back to 220 grit. I'll post a finished product when I'm not working and have time to finish it soon. I'm happy as this is my first knife I've ever forged... Xxxx I need a 2x72 grinder.

IMG_20190611_140325.jpg

MVIMG_20190610_111655.jpg

IMG_20190610_161949.jpg

IMG_20190611_160050.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190610174650287.jpg

IMG_20190610_110611.jpg

Nice for a first knife for sure. Look into draw filing and hand sanding with a block to get a nice flat straight bevel. Inexpensive but time consuming. Once you get into it it isn't bad. You kindof just zone into the work. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

:unsure:

Well, I guess that would work.  Just wish it were a darker pink shading into red!   Worst thing one can do is call someone by someone else's name.  At my age it comes naturally.  But this morning's error was just plain "not awake yet" stupor!

4 hours ago, Daswulf said:

My grandmother would go through my brothers and cousins names before she got to mine sometimes. My mother is starting to do it a bit with us and our kids. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Dad always called me Dennis, my older half brother. Butch was as close to my very own name as I had around Dad, my Uncles didn't have any trouble keeping us straight. 

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

ThomasPowers plays the file card

It's his way of brushing your arguments off. 

Frosty The Lucky.