Pr3ssure

Changing water for electrolysis

When should I change the water after electrolysis rust removal? Not sure if it will eventually stop removing rust or what. Should I just add more wash powder and that would be good or should I switch the water completely after a day or so?

I've never had the electrolyte go bad during a 'burn'. I wouldn't bother changing, but I would consider putting a little more fresh in just to top things up. Check your sacrificial rebar- it might be et up and not doing the job. I've also never had to run a cycle more than 36 hours. YMMV

Steve

Alright, I've only done small parts so far. I changed it in between two of them, the rebar was fine though. I've gotta get the paint off the rest to do the big stuff.

Water and soda are cheap, change it when it gets dirty or you feel like it.

If it stops working do NOT ask us about changing it, we'll give you a SERIOUS load of mocking sarcastic replies. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Just skim the crud off the top of the water when it gets nasty. The process does a fine job removing paint too. Just clean a spot for yer connection to make a good contact.                   Dave

If it stops working and I ask when I should change it, my brain may be the one not working. The only reason I even asked is because it was a pain to do the first time, wasn't sure if it would have anything bad in it so I took it away from my yard. 

The large issue is keeping the electrical contacts clean. The parts being cleaned may need attention to remove any loose junk. The rebar or other parts will need cleaned as needed.  They can be eroded or coated with crud. A quick wash off and scrub is all that is necessary.

Be careful about how you dispose of the water and other crud, especially If you’ve been removing lead paint. You don’t want to just pour that stuff down the drain.