rockstar.esq

Universal job skills?

I hear you but I'm thinking you have marketable qualifications there are lots of outfits that depend heavily on comps. Albuquerque ain't bad though I've only visited briefly. Finding good medical is really important, it's why I low balled my wages to work for the State. I've had worse jobs but the bennies made up for the general suckyness. 

Ah rockstar! Good tactics and I've been saying the TPAAT applies to anything you're hunting. When I transferred off the drill crew to road maintenance I back channeled. Walked across the yard to their offices and asked if they had an opening. Most any large company keeps open positions on the books to be able to hire desirables and to keep the money in the budget. That's a long story I won't belabor anybody with, personally satisfying as it was.

I'd love to have my mind back so I could start learning Linux, I'm sick of being data mined every time I check email. It should NOT spend 30-60 seconds sending data then another 30 receiving data BEFORE downloading the mail. Grrrrrr. Auto update reset itself to automatic and I can't figure out how to shut it off. Micro$oft stinks the DELUXE big stinky but my learning curve is almost inverted. Don't say Apple, too expensive. 

I'm thinking of asking my computer guru if he'll come out of retirement long enough to upgrade my laptop to a solid state drive. A new comp would be nice but my allowance is spoken for and this one works well enough.  <sigh>

Are there any good books to learn Linux? I don't have much use for the X will let you do "followed by a long list of bells and whistles" I have to hunt through to find the sentence that tells me HOW to do X. I really need basic how to or I'm sunk. I distract so easily learning is a real fight. Unless mistakes cause physical pain and bleeding that is. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been following this thread and thought that I'd chime in on essential job skills.  One skill that I have noticed is difficult for some people is knowing when to let go of one job and move on to the next task.  It is sort of a manifestation of perfectionism.  Knowing when an effort is good enough for a particular job is not easy for some folk.  In blacksmithing it is knowing that every little blemish does not have to be ground out and that every knife does not have to be polished to a mirror finish.  In the law I have seen attorneys who have a very hard time stopping doing research and starting to write the brief or motion.  There is a fine balance between not good enough and too good.  Some jobs require intense attention to detail and some require a very coarse finish.  Knowing the difference and being able to apply the different requirements can be a very essential job skill.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

George,

That's a really excellent point!

I've also encountered people who were at the opposite end of the perfectionist spectrum who act like briars, just looking for a way to generate a snag. 

I typically find them working in the quotes department wherever a custom part is needed in a time-sensitive situation.  

There was a quote in one of John Ringo's books to the effect that "in every project there comes a time when you have to shoot the engineer and go into production".  It was referring to diminishing returns and so spending millions to save thousands with a more perfect design.

Thomas, that is what is called "freezing the design."  At some point in developing a product that you have to say that it is as good as it is going to get and go to production.  This is one of the reasons that the US and the Allies were able to out produce the Axis by at least an order of magnitude during WW2.  German weapons, individually, were often more innovative than American ones but it took so long to get them into production that only a relatively few of them ever reached the hands of the troops.

This philosophy is best expressed in the aphorism "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."