I Forge Iron

Anvil $ per pound in my area

Still chasin' down anvil leads.  Found one fellow who said he sold a 160# Vulcan this morning for $460.  Commented it was pretty beat up.  At $2.87/lb, I have no doubt it was "beat up".  People are gettin' to the point that when I walk up to them, they immediately say "I know...............you're looking for an anvil." :rolleyes: Been talkin' with so many people about anvils, I forget !

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My condolences, I understand that there are some promising new treatments for that. I have a friend who has stuffed his shop with Vulcans; they are just not to my taste.

I've owned several Vulcans; never afraid to pick one up at a good price that I can sell on to a beginning student; but my only long term Vulcan is one on my wall of shame that shows extremely bad quality control of the casting. (Others on the wall include a PW, Powell, Badger?, etc.)

I prefer my large Fisher when I need a quiet anvil and my Arm and Hammer for my travel anvil. (When doing demos it's often helpful to have a ringing anvil to draw folks to the forge---especially when you have been sited on the outskirts of an event.)

I'm not knowledgeable enough to "know" what I need..............but what I think I'd like is something around 160 pounds that has a nice large surface, decent edges and really good rebound.  And, yeah, I'd like something that rings...............just for nostalgia.  :lol:  Does that sound like the typical newbie?

2 minutes ago, Chris The Curious said:

Why is that, IFC?

It's so quiet I don't need hearing protection, has a nice face except for one chip from a missed blow by a prior owner. It was my first anvil that I've gotten used to over the past 30+ years and I've more hardy tools that fit it.

Getting used to it over decades can tend to make using it a habit.  The sway in the face of my A&H makes it my go to anvil for straightening blades even if I have dead flat anvils to hand.

However I am giving serious thought to demoing only with improvised anvils for a while to help folks see that they don;t need to sell a kidney to start smithing and do good work.

7 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

You forgot the "and they pay me US$50 to haul it off..."

God.......................I could only wish!

7 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

t's so quiet I don't need hearing protection

Okay, I get it.

Another reason I like my Vulcan is a friend of mine who has more experience (in years forging) than I, scoffed at my anvil when he first saw the shop. He said something like Oh it's a Vulcan. Over the years I always out produced him when we would get together in the shop with him using his PW.

I look at CL and ebay (I know, always too much $$ there) in my local area.  I keep seeing the same anvils for sale.  There's one, not too far from me, a 71# kohlswa.  The guy's asking $700 for it.  He'll probably be sitting on that little bit for a while.  Then there's a 125# Hay Budden, other end of the state, Seller's asking over $1300 for it.  At those prices, I'm better off hitting up antique stores.  LOL.  It makes that 125# Fisher Norris in New Hampshire for $395 a great deal.

I'll stick with the improvised anvils for now.

• 1 year later...

I recently sold a 248# Peter wright, not in as good a shape as that one; but in good using condition for US$4 a pound here in NM.  Probably a bit low as $5 a pound shows up a lot on CL down here.  Are anvils selling at $7.35 a pound where you are at?---Note not the asking price the selling price!   Ones priced that high around here stay on CL a long time, months if not years!

Have the edges on that one been repaired? I seem to see some color differential near the front on the side edges.  Edge repair often decreases the value as you can't tell if it was done correctly without using the anvil and seeing if the applied material cracks off in the HAZ.  (If I KNOW it was done correctly it wouldn't bother me at all.)

Getting top price means you have to have people in the market that can pay those prices and need what was originally pretty much an industrial/large commercial shop tool.  (Anvil Envy is a terrible thing around smiths; I do have several anvils way larger than I need; but I bought them for less than US$1 a pound!)

29 minutes ago, J cooper said:

Im located in Wichita ks 

Welcome aboard... We won't remember that once leaving this post. If you put your location in your profile, you may find many members who are close enough to visit and give first hand advice.

Seeing as you can buy a brand new Holland 440 pound double horn anvil for $2600 or a 275 pound Peddinghaus for $2130, your price is far from a steal.