I Forge Iron

Toolkraft 6x28 sander

So I found a Toolkraft 6x28 belt sander with a 9 inch disc sander attached, they want $50 for it and there is no motor. It looks to be made of cast iron and from the 50's or 60's. I have one of the newer cheapo 4x36 or 32, whatever it is with a disc sander. It's alright for wood and touching up metal. I was wondering if you guys think it would be smart/able to make it spin fast enough to be at belt grinding speeds. In one of the pictures you can see a lock screw to take the disc off, so when not needed I could take that off for extra speed. I'd say I'd want to get some new nice bearings and maybe make some rollers for it if I wanted to try that. Here's a picture of it though, think it would be cable to do that with?

00x0x_fKdayjXOEtH_1200x900.thumb.jpg.5ab4d39454bf2b445028d244111e0a29.jpg

Here's a picture of the back

01313_kgGvzkUAFrI_1200x900.jpg

It also rotates like any other like this, didn't want to post too many pictures though. 

It's not the greatest knife type grinder as it was designed for woodworking use.  Also, that price seems a bit high to me for what is there.  You might be able to make it useful but I wouldn't put too much money or effort into it.  It's one of those "better than nothing" but "worse than you would like to have" situations so costs and effort really come into play.

And...before you do anything, check to see if proper belt grinding belts are even commonly available in that size.  A metal grinding belt is a bit of a different animal than woodworking belt--you don't want to have your plans go awry simply because good quality belts are "custom"/rare as hen's teeth and not off the shelf.

I might offer $20 seeing as it doesn't have a motor but would walk over $25. Old doesn't mean good though it looks like a solid workhorse. Converting it to a decent metal grinder though is a different story. You can probably find a 3450 RPM motor but will the sanding belts made to fit it take the speed and hard use?

Can you buy belts or will you have to have them made? Metal grinder belts and wood sanding belts are two different things. Do you have a motor? 

Frosty The Lucky.

How do you know if the belt will hold up? Are the rated at the belts RPM or SFM? 

Also, don't have a motor but I could get a decent one cheap. Or use one from a machine I don't use much if needed. Also, I was thinking $50 might be steep but not sure. I'll check the belts though.

I can't find any belts for that size. I checked the first custom belt place I found on google though and for aluminum oxide for $6 each and ceramic for $13. Rated for grinding metal. Not as bad as I thought they would be since it's custom. Also the price drops the more you buy. I told my dad to get ahold of the guy (he's in Ohio where it's posted) and to try and talk him down from $50. If he does get it for me I'll try and find someone to sell my 4x36 sander to for $20 and then at the very least I'll have a better sander. The one I have isn't something I really enjoy using.

Looks like a fun project. If you can afford it, I also encourage you to look into 2 x 72 grinders. There is a lot more available in 2 x 72 Plans, Parts, accessories, training videos, belts, etc will be easier to find.

As an aside, I still have my 4 x 36. Sometimes I just don't need to fire up a 2 hp 2 x 72 grinder. You can also get surface conditioning belts for the 4 x 36.

I'd love to do a 2x72 but Im not gonna dish out $500+ for one and I don't have the need to put the time and effort into making one yet. Although I do plan to make one when the need arises and I'm confident enough with my fabrication skills.