I Forge Iron

Convert to hard gas line

Jclonts82

Both my propane forges are ‘plumbed’ with standard ole rubber propane hose. I would like to change it out for a hard metal line, I was showing someone some basics when he inadvertently bumped a gas line with yellow hot steel...

My first thought is automotive brake lines, with appropriate adapters. 

Thought Id ask the collective here what you use for hard metal gas lines?

I assume you mean ON the forge, not from the tank outside. Yes? If you want to run steel lines in from the tank you'll need to have the gas company do it or they won't fill it, maybe even report you as a code violation. Federal code  is involved and applies almost everywhere. 

I use copper tubing and flare fittings from the manifold to the burners. Rubber hose from the manifold to the tank. I place the tank close enough the hose falls straight to the floor and rises straight to the manifold. There isn't enough room for a duffus to walk between and the tank shields the hose to a degree. 

I wouldn't extend metal fuel lines any distance hitting or snagging meta lines is likely to break them. Copper is soft and more flexible than steel but takes a mighty hard mistake to break. I like controlled give in a system, if it comes to breakage I want things to break WHERE I want, not at random. Make sense?

If that's too inconvenient slip an old garden hose over the propane hose. It'll protect the propane hose and stinks to high heaven if you touch it with HOTNESS. I'd have to consider someone who did it twice as a Darwin Award candidate and show them the door.

Frosty The Lucky.

I ran the propane line from the outside of our house to the kitchen stove---didn't connect it at either end.  We did have to have it inspected/tested by a licensed propane dealer.  Passed with flying colours much to my DW disgust.

(She wanted a "professional" to do it.  I told here it was a simple job and easy to do right...Inspector said I had done an excellent job. Last time she demanded a "professional installation" for a dishwasher; the installer had hard wired the 110 line into a 220 line and fried the brand new dishwasher's electronics...I demanded a different installer that would follow *code* for the second one they bought.)

Thomas; I have to offer some support for your DW’s position though.  As a former firefighter I worked on one farmhouse fire where the farmer had plumbed propane from his bulk tank to his furnace.  He didn’t realize that he needed a regulator on the line!  The furnace sat in a small dugout basement room.  When the full pressure propane blew through the valves on the furnace it filled up the space with gas/air mix!!!  The explosion cannoned through the floor, ceiling and roof.  By the time I arrived the flames were shooting thirty feet up through the roof hole!  The chimney collapsed on the infant’s crib... fortunately the infant was not sleeping at the time.  They escaped with only minor injuries from flying bricks and glass.  The furnace was designed for natural gas, easily altered for propane... BUT natural gas is delivered at 4 to 6 pounds of pressure.  The straight in line from his propane tank delivered around 120 psi!  I know that you are not some Idaho farmer... but actually most farmers are pretty sophisticated mechanically.  It is at least a good idea to have a careful inspection of the work... which you did.  Wives are naturally suspicious of their husbands... sometimes with good reason!

Yes, having it tested and inspected by a licensed tech was a requirement for meeting code. Meeting or exceeding code was drilled into me by my Father when we did work on our houses ourselves. (Living rurally gives me a bit more latitude as requirements assume you will only destroy your house instead of a neighborhood.)