JHCC

Converting an inverted hydraulic press into a light-duty forging press

Ayup, that looks like I'm thinking. I'd weld spacers into the posts at intervals just because. You could bolt everything together and it'd work fine. I'd weld the posts but the rest can safely be bolted. Just take a look at shop presses, some have 50 ton jacks, fast ones have air over hydraulic cylinders. The horizontal members are much longer too so there's a lot more leverage than you're dealing with.

Anyway, this concept sketch is what I was thinking of. Details will of course depend on . . . ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

That'll work make sure you do at least 3 passes all the way around the i beam if you go stick use 1/8 rods 7018 and no undercut on the welds i'd be around 130 amps depending on machine remember your to hot if your gettin alot of splatter .

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Ayup, that looks like I'm thinking.

Which: (1) or (2)?

Lots of work cutting away the unnecessary substructure, leaving the mounts for the motor and hydraulic pump.

Before:

AA921C52-AC37-43D6-9A85-DF4DAEEC9A2E.jpeg

And after:

02E64705-FF00-4F35-83D8-72148062051B.jpeg

I think I was right not to trust these welds under tension:

D8199DE2-7269-449F-A087-B75327F844D6.jpeg

Cutting off the cylinder supports yielded two ~27” pieces of 4” channel, which will doubtless come in handy. 

E0626AC6-571B-447F-A770-12D271524D34.jpeg