I Forge Iron

Newbie Power Hammer Questions

After a day of playing with my new Runfa (seems identical to Anyang) power hammer, I am learning, but still somewhat confused.  I have read the countless threads on this site, and they are absolutely awesome, but I cannot for the life of me figure out a couple of issues. 

Here is the Hammer:

E013-C916-79-BD-4-C91-BD24-E017851745-C5

Issue #1: I adjusted the oil feed rate in the two glass bubbles to 5-8 seconds per drip.  (I've attached a picture of the Oiler for reference.) In order to achieve this slow a flow rate, I had to screw the black screws in tight and just back them off 1/4 turn. Does this seem right?

Issue #2: I originally had a lot of oil flowing down the ram onto the dies. I think this was due to me having the Oiler turned up way too much initially and essentially flooding the rams with oil.  This seems to have slowed now, but there is still some light oil misting on the lower die at idle. The power Hammer seems to vent air through the upper ram somewhere when idling and just barely moving.  I figure it has to vent the air pressure somewhere but not sure this is the right place. Is this normal?

Issue #3: I am leaking a very tiny bit of air and oil mist through one of the bolts that holds the top plate on the ram.  (Ive attached a picture for reference.) I've taken the bolt out and looked. It seems like there is a tiny split in the rubber gasket that seals the top plate.  Is this normal or should I get a new gasket?

CB07-C548-BE5-B-4-DCC-8597-8-E4-A764-D28
BF4262-D5-2-DE4-4480-8340-B43-B4-C2-B92-

Issue #4: The Hammer gets hot to the touch after about 15-20 minutes of continuous running. Not hot enough to burn you, but fairly warm.  Is this normal?

Thanks again everyone for your help. This is an awesome place for information.  I've learned so much here by just reading old threads.

Good Morning NFL,

Welcome to this world. A Power Hammer will make your junk pile larger, while you are learning the How and Why of the Hammer. You only need enough Oil in the Air to lubricate the Compressor and the Working cylinder and pistons. Having a little bit of oil leaking out of different places is not a cat-astrophy, deal with the problems if they are a problem. For the bolt on the cylinder head, is the bolt too long for the threads in the hole?

A Power Hammer will not correct a poor choice of sequences, You need to understand Hand Hammer Forging, before you will benefit from a Power Hammer.

Please put your location in your Avatar.

CanIRON XII is at Ness Creek Saskatchewan, June 28-30 see www.caniron.ca for details

Neil

Hey Swedefiddle -

A fellow Canadian!  I'm here in Newfoundland. 

I don't think the bolt is too long as it seems to be just the right length for the threads. 

I have some experience working hot metal by hand but have always stayed away from power hammers as they didn't seem to have a finesse touch. I'm absolutely blown away by how exact and precise they can be now that I've tried one.  It's completely blown my mind and changed my opinion on em. 

I have a replacement top plate gasket en route, but I'm not in a rush to change it.  The air leak is very small so I don't think it will make any difference. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. I see were' typing at the same time and you've included your location so I won't suggest it again. :)

How about a name we can call you, nick names are good. My REAL name isn't Frosty though it's what folks have been calling me that since kindergarten. :huh:

Yes, that's the correct way to adjust a needle valve, screw in it till it stops and back it out incrementaly. 1/4 turn is probably a good departure point. A LITTLE oil weeping from the ram or exhaust ports is a LOT better than the machinery running too dry. Right now you're probably running a little too much oil but that's OKAY, adjust till it's only weeping a tiny bit.

The one time I had access to a similar "Kuhn 40" power hammer regularly, a the owner gave the tup a spray of aerosol oil before turning it on. This prevented the seals from ever running dry, even for ONE down stroke. While probably not necessary in a normal shop, being a bladesmith his shop always had a LOT of grinder dust in the air. Were it my hammer in my shop I'd give it a wipe with an oily rag. I keep one in a sealed pint can next to my 2" x 72" belt grinder. The rag is about a 4" square of old T shirt, the oil is 3 in 1 household oil. The rag is JUST oily enough to leave a thin streak on freshly ground steel. This is how I prepare steel for forge welding but it's a good way to apply a thin coat of oil to machinery parts that need thin lubrication like the TUP of your hammer. Just run the rag around the TUP close to the seals and it'll have a good coat of lube when it first starts to move, your seals will last a lot longer, NO need to get carried away, a LITTLE is good, a LOT is NOT better. Make sense?

The break in the seal on the top plate is probably to prevent excess pressure where it's not needed but maybe not. If you have questions you REALLY NEED to ask the maker. I'm sure ANYANG knows for certain and sure. I see you  have that covered.

Yes, control of a self contained power hammer is exquisitely fine. Just for giggles I held a Gillette razor blade on edge and successfully flexed it without breaking it. First time using that Kuhn 40. You are going to LOVE your hammer. In the GOOD way, don't tell us about it if you LOVE your hammer in . . . other ways. :o Please!

Frosty The Lucky.

Just a guess, but if a name is Newfoundland Law, he’s not in Vancouver. 

(As an unrelated aside, I was born in Toronto. Like most Canadians if that era, we made fun of Newfies. When I moved to Southern California as a child, I did t understand that they weren’t a universal source of fun. Now that I’m an adult, I dream about having enough time to go to Newfoundland and think that the people there are probably among the most enviable on earth.)

My experience with Newfoundlanders, on the Island and at law school*,  is that I have found them to be,  generally, the most hospitable people that I have ever met anywhere in my life.

The province is beautiful and vast, highly recommended for a visit. 

(with a relatively small population.).

Too many people confound lack of sophistication with intelligence, concerning Newfoundlanders.

Those people are very wrong.

SLAG.

*most of the Newfoundland bar and judiciary studied at the Dalhousie law school in Halifax Nova Scotia.  (where I did).

'Nfld. Law alumnus',

Before the flood I am told.*

I guess that you are in St. Johns?

Are you currently practicing law?

I suppose that we can carry on a further correspondence by private message, (on this site).

Or by telephone.

Regards,

SLAG.

* I am retired now.

• 2 months later...