I Forge Iron

DIY surface grinder....Links?..

Sewedfiddle, my creativity is not an issue. The thing on my shoulders, says do your research. For me that means look what others have done! That helps me know what not to do for my ability.  It also helps me understand what will work for me , in my shop and my tooling.

My understanding  the function of this site is to help other be more informed, to share ideas, techniques,and knowledge to those seeking help.

If you have nothing constructive to offer on the posters question, I suggest you just scroll on by and save the poster, and yourself some time.

TY John , Travis does have a nack for slick engineering,  I will have a look.

ThomasPowers, I have thought about that, just seems that it would take up more space than I can afford to give up in my small shop. An attachment to the grinder will suit my needs and space better.

Peppie

• 3 weeks later...

Try and find an old junky worn out surface grinder for scrap price and build a belt grinder on it. Probably way easier and versatile than a shop built one if you have something that can pick up a heavy surface grinder that is.

• 4 months later...

What sorts of usage are you looking for?  Do you intend to use it for knives, or generic smoothing/flattening of pieces?  What capacity of work piece size?  I ask because there quite a few slick designs as grinder attachments on youtube.  Your intended use will dictate a couple things. 

A "regular" surface grinder (the hard grinding wheel with a magnetic chuck and a cross-slide vice) is designed to make incredibly flat surfaces, but it won't help you do things like distal tapers unless you fuss with setting up the piece with parallels and shimming the piece, etc (and they aren't cheap machines).  It's really designed to create super precise work.  A belt grinder type "surface grinder" can achieve better flattening results that you can by hand, but won't be anywhere near as precise as the above grinder, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Some designs are particularly useful for knife making as they can be adjusted quickly and easily to grind in distal tapers, or tapering tangs, etc.  Instead of a large, permanently mounted magnetic chuck, they use a simpler magnetic chuck (thinner in width, and smaller in general) and a swing arm design to change cutting depth.  In use, you manually slide the chuck forward and backward under the wheel (there is no side movement like with a cross-slide vice).  Since it is used with a contact wheel, with the hinge point of the swing arm behind the wheel, you maintain flat cutting as the depth change is just a tangent on the wheel.  The front edge of the chuck is adjustable up and down to allow for tapering grinds.  As I said, useful for making knives to get the majority of the shaping done with final finish coming from hand sanding.  You could also make one with the cross-slide type magnetic chuck like a regular surface grinder strictly for smoothing, flattening, and final finish of a piece, which they will do an amazing job (much much better than by hand), but without the increased adjustability like I described above nor the hefty price of a regular surface grinder.

Here a video of a knife type grinder that I mention.  It has the front adjustment for the distal tapering: 

Agreed, a releasable magnet would be more convenient and ways would be more solid for alignment.  I'm sure such a set up is possible with some tinkering, but I just wanted to show the simple operation for this type of chuck for knife grinding vs a regular type of surface grinder. 

I've done some reading and watched some videos on making releasable magnet chucks, it's fairly complex for a mechanical release (at least way more complex than I expected it to be), unless you want to try your hand at an electromagnet.

• 2 years later...