I Forge Iron

Two leg vices with soft springs

Paul F

Along with my recent anvil acquisitions, I picked up two leg vices.  One heavier, one lighter, both about 5" jaws.  The screws and boxes are in good shape, but the springs don't open the jaws. 

Luckily, they have all the mounting pieces.  The larger vice has a clover shaped mounting plate, while the smaller one has a V shaped strap. Any idea on the makers?  I didn't see any markings.

Should the springs open the jaws when the screw is turned out?   I could bend the spring a little to give it more travel.

Vices.JPG

What Biggun said. Also on the lower larger vise in the pic the mounting bracket is set pretty low. Move it up towards the short bend at the top of the spring, that should push it out a little more.

Steve

OK, here are some better pictures of the vices.

The big one has an interesting mounting plate with a triangle, but no C like the Colombian logo.

I got the lighter one to spring open by working it.  It has pretty finial on the thread box and the legs look hand worked.

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG