I Forge Iron

I need help finding out more about my anvil

My dad has a anvil but he spray painted it back in the 70’s I think. Anyhow from my research I believe it to be a Trenton. The only marks I can find are on the foot. On the left it says 126 I believe and the right says 201044. Can anyone tell me the date of this anvil. Also just because that’s the only markings that I can find on it, can that tell weather it is a Trenton or not. 

Hopefully I am able to put these pictures on here. I’m not to good with these phones. I sure do appreciate y’all taking the time to help me with this. I’ve spent countless hours trying to figure this out. I just recently started forging blades and I am hooked, and love it. 

7E4EB78A-C5AE-4CE0-8265-7F986FF752E2.jpeg

0267D950-AE33-4E98-BE5C-6BAD04184AFA.jpeg

4925AFA3-9207-4D01-B2F4-06C31CA317CC.jpeg

47DDE408-3475-4EAB-931F-D6E9250FCA48.jpeg

C777C41B-BE5D-4324-83C4-2A46469F1D10.jpeg

Here’s a better one. 

CE337107-58EC-4969-8E11-6B5E64C95202.jpeg

I took the anvil off of the stand, to take a picture of the bottom. I still haven’t found a makers mark, just the weight and serial number. I’m guessing from my research that it is a Trenton but I don’t know very much at all about anvils. The serial number is 201044 and weight is 126 pounds. I don’t know if it had holes drilled into it at the factory or if someone drilled them in order to mount the anvil. If anyone could please look up the year of this anvil for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. 

4035BCF7-F836-4AAC-AE9C-FF0F1EDF3BE7.jpeg

Great looking shape. 

I see what might be the faint depression of the trention diamond stamp in the last photo of the previous post. Wirewheeling the paint off might show it better, if im seeing it right.

It looks to me to be one with the solid steel top welded to the base. If so those are way better ones in my opinion. Before that they were wroughtiron with just a steel faceplate forgewelded to it. 

To add tho, the name and age doesn't matter really other than interest. The real indicator of a good anvil is the rebound. (Which you can lookup through "rebound test, or ball bearing test")

You have what looks to be a great anvil in excellent shape. Enjoy it! You can pass it down through the next several generations. :)

Wow that’s awesome, I appreciate you guys. I just love knowing the history of these wonderful tools. I started wire wheeling the anvil and I found some letters in different places. One is next to the horn and the other is on the opposite side of where I thought anvils were normally marked. I have know idea what they mean if anything. What do you guys think. 

709EBD9D-90C7-4F8B-999A-6C675AE7C5E7.jpeg

E6713BBA-13AC-4A89-8DD5-A19E3F2FCF97.jpeg

Those might be previous owners stamps or something after. 

Look good in this spot for remnants of a stamp. I know my trenton with the solid steel upper, only the upper half of the diamond is there. They all didnt get stamped great. 20190528_162948.thumb.jpg.3fae5d6f384164498fad198327ba38cd.jpg

That makes since. Here’s a picture after I wire wheeled that side. I just don’t see anything that resembles a stamp. So after I wire wheel the anvil, what do you recommend I put on it for  protection from rust? Are these holes at the bottom from a blacksmith testing his tools after heat treatment? So what exactly is is anvil made of? I don’t really see a peace of carbon steel welded on top. Sorry I’m knew at this and very interested, I think it so cool.  One last thing, I believe someone used the anvil to rest what they were welding on top of the workrest. There are a couple holes that look like they burned the carbon steel that is on top. Since I will be using this anvil in the future for forging knives, should I feel those holes up with welds and grind them flat? 

0A9FDC40-E3C2-4139-A7AF-93E4E29A13CF.jpeg

59E011B8-6029-494A-BD86-E67C30ED34ED.jpeg

Those aren't anything to worry about. Plenty of space to work around.use it as is for atleast a year or two before you consider doing anything. You'll probably understand with experience that it's perfectly fine as is. 

It does kindof look like someone welded on the edge before. Again, just leave it as is tho and dont worry bout it. Basically it would be steel from the waist up. The weld is ground down. 

Here is atleast the last letters TON showing with part of the diamond that looks like it would have been the perforated line diamond.

20190528_184711.thumb.jpg.8a54e6d12ab03ecd3121c3f98c638a19.jpg

I just came back into the shop before I checked your message and seen the ton. Then y’all confirmed it. That’s just so cool, you made my day!!! I will definitely not weld on it. It will also stay in the family. To think that my dads boss in the 70’s was gonna throw her away. I can’t believe she has been covered in that paint setting in the garage since I was young just waiting for me to use her. I sure do appreciate all the knowledge y’all shared today. I can’t wait to find out when she was made so I can tell my dad. I don’t know too much about anvils but it seems like there is something very spiritual about them. 

Look on the front of the foot under the horn for a serial number.  The shallow crisp stampings are owners stamps done cold.  The round divots are "testing marks" from previous smiths  The Holes in the feet were drilled for mounting by a previous owner. 

I'll probably be heading back out to Van Buren in 3 months, taking my Mother to see my Father's tombstone installed in Cedarville.