I Forge Iron

Ring the anvil, light a candle or say a prayer...

For the past several weeks major storms have devastated the central U.S. The states of Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas and others have experienced tornados and major flooding. I will ring the anvil three times to ask the Goddess, God and Great Spirit to help those affected recover from them.

Personally, I'll say "Thank You", from Oklahoma.  The tornado that came through the East side of Norman this week came right at my house and 1/4 of a mile away it lifted.  Went right over my house and then dropped back to the ground 1/4 of a mile away.  Thank God it was only an F1 level and not F3 or above.  As it was, we only lost some tips of the trees in our wooded property.  Prayers work.................we were praying from our storm shelter.  Thanks for your prayers.......................because we are under another tornado warning tonight.

We have a friend in Oklahoma City and she emailed us saying that they were very anxious about the tornado situation. We haven't heard yet how she has fared, but are hoping for the best outcome. The disaster has made the news here in Australia. Our thoughts are with you all.

We fared well at our place last night.  I think all we got was rain.  I slept through it, so at least I know there were no tornado sirens.  Thanks, folks, "anvil rings" helped.

With the weather men vying for ratings shares, the news is more like reality tv than anything else. Honestly you get numb. After being told that their was a 90% chance in your area for three days, having friends and family calling to see if your ok onlynto have the storms go 50 miles north and west of you (which they do 99% of the time) you learn to just go about your business. Other wise you spend most of two months scared and stressed out. 

Do not get me wrong, I feel for the people who were in the path of the storms but after so many false alarms and over hyped situations the media is doing its best to ruin the enhanced warning system just like they did the original warning system. I miss Gary Eagle. At least you told you the truth and provided a play buy play instead of making it sound like it will be the end of the world next Friday.

sorry if my rant breaches the ban on politics, but it gives the rest of the country inside into the Oklahoma mindset when it comes to tornado risk.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone affected by the recent storms, tornadoes, flooding, have been making progress in their efforts to recover. For all the folks about to be affected by the next round of storms please be careful and If you're in an area expecting severe weather do what you can to get ready. I'm confident that most IFI members are the type to hope for the best and prepare for the rest. Our thoughts are with you stay safe.

Pnut

You didn't cross any lines Charles. I think everybody is sick and tired of the news and weather media's rating circus reality show "coverage." I spent two days in the hospital with pneumonia and the weather channel was nothing but a rerun, the SAME stock footage of the SAME house. Of course it WAS the only one where a fatality occurred so . . . The old adage rules, "If it bleeds it leads."

I have no comment on what the "news:angry:" is covering.

Everybody in harm's way is in my prayers. Be well folks we're pulling for you.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Our thoughts and prayers continue for all those in harm's way.

Yep, in 2003, all we heard and saw was about the fancy neighborhoods burning, then the power went out. The radio was no better after that. Made our own plan and flipped a coin to head east.....

Hoping for the best.......

Robert and Sheila Taylor

Rain, rain, rain, rain.................and more rain.  So sick and tired of it.  Got an inch and a half of rain in about a 20 minute period this morning.  A little hail and a lot of wind.  We are so sick of the rain.  Did I mention we are sick of it?  I've got trees on the property that are falling over because the ground is too wet.  Had to tie a 20 year old Scarlet Redbud tree to a couple of other trees this afternoon to stabilize it.  We've had 55 inches in the last 365 days.................far above out average rainfall.  I've got a guy coming to cut down a rather large tree that's threatening our house and he can't get too it with his cherry picker because the ground is too soft.  Don't know if things will ever dry out.  On a side note, I don't think I've ever seen Oklahoma so green in June!  (remember, we are "dust bowl" country) 

Hight today was reported as 102 deg F; high tomorrow is supposed to be 72 degF.  I expect that there will be  bit of turmoil during the night...Of course I have some more 1" wrought iron to cut with a hacksaw---I think I will put that off till tomorrow...

• 9 months later...