I Forge Iron

Finish for an object that is to be worn?

Jeff-Orl

On 5/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, Daswulf said:

To preserve the patina, clearcoat is about the best bet. It will still darken up a bit, but not as bad as with BLO.  I've been using an exhaust satin clearcoat spraycan clear that seems to be the most durable with nice sprayability. It's pricier than other spraycan clears but from my experience it holds up way better. 

This was posted in another thread for a item to show the patina and yet protect the object.

There are several types of wax that can be used. Check to see if it is food grade if you are worried.

Minwax has worked for me , for pendants. With the surface cleaned up and optionally blued, wax looks nice and holds up nicely. I have some forged pendants that are 20+ years old now, and are still looking good. I have never, nor will I ever, spray paint a wearable forged item. When the paint starts to flake off, it will become a throw away item to many consumers.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Trewax applied to fresh coffee  temp item. It melts super thin and penetrating and gets into every nook and cranny. Wipe off the excess while it's still good and warm. Carnuba cools hard enough to chip if it's thick. Lasts a long time and doesn't stain or rub off. Carnuba is the wax used on bowling alleys that requires a drum sander to strip off.

I love the stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.