I Forge Iron

Stainless San Mai questions

I really DO recommend the internal pipe sanding, at least a little bit to: A. Clean up any oil or oxidation or crum that might be in there. 

B. To clear off chrome oxides then force the HC rod in making good contact. 

GOOD LUCK!

I like 3in1 better than WD and keep an "oily" rag handy when prepping weld joints. My recently built 2" x 72" belt grinder is perfect for prepping welds and my 3in1 oily rag is closed up in a small can on the table/stand. 

I don't make blades but I enjoy forge welding and am going to play with billets. Not sure what I'll do with them, maybe flashy hammers or wall hooks, or . . .? 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I second the welding of the seams, as well as the drill rod in the pipe and all the prep. you can do on the steels. I've had an air pocket form on me with the welded seam before from getting in a hurry and not getting as flat a grind on everything as I should have, but I lucked out and managed to power through it. Mostly because the bubble was isolated to the very end of the billet, though. Anymore I mostly leave a little bit of the seam exposed on one end and soak in WD-40 or kerosene (I prefer kerosene) before I weld. Works like a charm...most of the time, haha.

Also, and I doubt it has anything really to do with the success/fail rate, but I always weld the seams with stainless wire or filler rod now, regardless of the jacket and core steel configuration. I don't seem to have nearly as may issues with delamination as I did using regular wire/rod with the same forging setup. Likely makes no difference, but it works for me.