I Forge Iron

Can Mystery Steel be ID’d by Density

No. I pretty much abandoned it after I realized getting precise volume measurements would be a problem. Now it occurs to me I wouldn’t need to measure water displacement, but could just cut off a specific length and do the math, but I would have the same problem. I wouldn’t be able to take precise measurements for anything except weight. 

But I think if I could do that plus be able to accurately measure certain other physical characteristics I could identify the steel. The problem is I can’t accurately measure any of those either. 

I still plan to visit the engineering labs at OU. I bet I could find a student who could help me out for a small donation to their beer and pizza fund. 

Nothing important. I just have a thing for carrying small items in my pocket. It gives me something to fiddle with during meetings, but they tend to get lost. When my wife buys me new “lovey” as she calls them, she always buys a couple of spares. 

A piece of round bar that I picked up turned out to be perfect after hardening. The weight and texture was amazing. I only have about three feet of it, not counting the three feet or so I gave to Chris.  It is silly but I thought I might want to determine what the steel is, just in case. :unsure:

On 7/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, DHarris said:

I was going to suggest a micrometer, but then I thought of Andrew Wygers book and the skill it takes to use a file to get perfectly parallel sides...and not sure if the 4 decimal places of the micrometer is accurate enough.....

But I bet you're right regarding the OU engineering student!