I Forge Iron

Feedback on design

Whiskeymike

Working on designing my forge skin.  I'm planning a 4x7x12 internal work area.  Inside will be lined with 2 inches of Kaowool, Rigidizer, 1/4" Kasto-like 30, and Plistix.  

Design is a small version of Essential Craftsman's forge where the top body separates from a floor which I think will make maintenance/modifications easier as well as the cool ability to temporarily in a pinch, raise it up with blocks to be able to heat something odd shape.  

Anything I've overlooked?   Is there anything I should be doing to hold down the kaowool?  Might be something I could design into the form.  I'll be CNC plasma cutting the skin, then forming it on a box brake.  

Thanks,

Mike

Autodesk_Fusion_360__Forge Skin_.png

The biggest failing of ceramic fiber blanket is de-lamination; and that is only before it "takes a set" after two or three heat cycles. If you use rigidizer and heat the treated blanket up with your forge burner, then no de-lamination after that. All you need to hold rigidized blanket in place is a few screws inserted near the bottom of the forge sides. The weight of the refractory layer can be held in place by end tabs at front and back of the forge shell.