I Forge Iron

Undersized Hardy--fix It ?

racer3j

My new Vulcan was described as 3/4" hardy. Not really- most of my hardy tools that shank size wont fit. The face is good hard steel and a file just skates in the hole. Any suggestions for enlarging? I have a die grinder and carbide bits for steel/iron but that could get ugly. Suggestions?mike

Hey Racer. I bought an old anvil that measured 3/4 inch at the face. But down in the hole was less. My hardy tools wouldn't fit. So i made new hardy pins from RR spikes(They are about 3/4inch), and heated them up to a bright orange. Drive it in the hole and wiggle just a bit. Then use a punch or the like and tap them out from the bottom. When you get them to fit, after they cool, cut to length and do as hammerkid said. Weld them on the bottom of your tools.

Great sensible advice. I was thinking my big 7" angle grinder and change the hardys. I like the RR spike idea as well. I think these hardy tools are malleable or ductile iron- I'll have to ask Beckley. Thanks for screwing my head back on straight. I would have been changing my truck to fit the gas cap.mike

I ran out to HF and got one. It would barely cut the steel. So, out with the die-grinder and carbide burrs. My hardy tools slip in nicely now. Then I used the 1/2" belt sander to ease everything. I really wanted the anvil to be "right." I have heard that a few anvils have lost their behinds from forcing a hardy tool.mt

I have a Hay Budden 116 lb anvil in the trailer. I found a Champion hardy but the stem was small fitting in the hardy hole in the anvil. I just welded some 1/8 x 1 to the stem of the hardy and cleaned up a smidge with a flap wheel. Now the hardy fits the anvil like a saddle on a sow. Many ways to fix things.

Hey Racer. I bought an old anvil that measured 3/4 inch at the face. But down in the hole was less. My hardy tools wouldn't fit. So i made new hardy pins from RR spikes(They are about 3/4inch), and heated them up to a bright orange. Drive it in the hole and wiggle just a bit. Then use a punch or the like and tap them out from the bottom. When you get them to fit, after they cool, cut to length and do as hammerkid said. Weld them on the bottom of your tools.

Good advice !!!! Itry that on my hf 55 that i use for demos;)